[Imc] Late minutes 10-29-00

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Sun Nov 5 18:17:12 UTC 2000

IMC Notes
Sun., October 29, 2000
Noon at 1006 S. Garfield

Attending -- Sigfried, Ellen, Paul R., Peter, Sehvilla (facilitator), Eric,
Sarah K., Sascha, Brian H., Molly, Mike L., Mark E., Jamie

Pacifica/WEFT:
Nobody at the meeting attended the WEFT Programming Committee meeting, so we
should refer to the notes that Danielle sent to the IMC list.  WEFT's Democracy
Now!/Pacifica Network News time slots (weekdays, 4-5:30 p.m.) may come open if
Pacifica's attacks against Amy Goodman continue.  Amy's union, AFTRA has filed
a grievance against Pacifica.

WEFT may have Corporation for Public Broadcasting grant money available for the
IMC to produce news programming.

Friday Forum --  During the inter-semester break in the Friday Forum series,
the Monday 6-7 p.m. slot is open.  IMC may be able to provide programming
(taped speeches, e.g.) for that slot.

Fundraising:
Checking balance = $1011, thanks to people making their monthly contributions
and to some people making a single annual contribution.  People CAN make
monthly contributions of less than $50!  Sascha will centralize the donors
list.

Sarah is working on a "progressive allies" database, including donors to the
IMC, SDAS folks, event attendees, etc.  People with lists of progressive allies
should give the info to Sarah.

The Nov. 5 fundraiser planning is going well.  Maiko made a flyer, and people
are needed to distribute the flyer.  A sign-up sheet was passed around.  The
IMC event does not conflict with the ISEN event.

RFU:
The final Commerce Appropriations bill includes the anti-LPFM language and is
en route to the President.  Call the White House and urge him to veto the
bill.  If the anti-LPFM language is approved, the low-power FM station will be
delayed indefinitely.  See www.diy-radio.org

News:
*  Peter and Laura Anderson taped a talk by the President of the Newspaper
Guild, CWA in Charleston, for use on the Labor Hour or, potentially, the Friday
Forum slot.
*  Mike L. produced a nice piece about the county board and AFSCME's
difficulties gaining contracts for county workers, which was broadcast during
Eclectic Seizure, Wed. 8 - 10 on WEFT.

Assignments
*  Staley Trial Rally:  Mike L will take audio; Eric will take video; Sarah
will take still photo's.
*  McChesney talk:  Sascha will make an audio recording.
*  Loewen talks:  Someone should record them...

General -- When IMC recordings are used, we should ensure that IMC is credited.

Tech Update:
Zach Miller doesn't have time to work on it, so Molly is solely responsible.
The site may not be up by the election.  Sigfried and Paul Riismandel will help
get the site up.

URL -- we don't have one, yet; but Molly will request urbana.indymedia.org and
champaign.indymedia.org

Mission Statement:
No work completed, yet.  Sascha wants a flyer ready by the fundraiser.  Ellen,
Molly, and Sarah will work on it.  Mark E. will send comments by email.

The IMC Space:
Sarah, Sascha, Molly, Danielle, and Lori Patterson looked at the Cinema on
Monday, with a realtor who wasn't helpful.  We'll set up a meeting with Norm
Baxley to talk about the space.  He's currently asking $10/sq ft; we might get
him to $7/sq ft, which is much more reasonable.  Sigfried suggested that we
find a way to not spend large sums of money on space.

We'll have a big discussion about space on Nov. 18.

Training:
Brian Hagy's computer audio training at the Computer Learning And Mentoring
Center went well, with 10 attendees.  Today, he's holding a video training, and
on Nov. 4 an animation training (3-5 p.m. at the CLAM Center).  All are
invited!

New Business:
Nov. 5 multimedia presentation about IMC is needed.  30 minute video for
fundraiser.  Paul R. volunteered to produce it.

Ellen will facilitate the next meeting.

After the meeting, Mike L., Paul R., and Peter M. conducted a technical
training for minidisc recording.