[Imc] couple more things

Sarah Kanouse skanouse at usa.net
Mon Nov 20 15:31:25 UTC 2000

I forgot to mention a few things--

About who should sign the letter--generally, I feel that letters to the editor
should be signed by the individual who is writing them, not the IMC.  However,
this letter, which is drawing attention to a nationwide event which the local
papers PROBABLY won't cover, I sould see the IMC connection acknowledged.
Similarly, writing letters to point out factual errors in news stories and to
expose important stories that aren't being covered seem legitimate activities
for the IMC as an organization.  In this role, the IMC would function as a
gentle watchdog.  My concern is that if we (the IMC) write opinion letters, we
may undermine our ability to do investigative work later or to work with
community groups (and individuals) who may disagree with the content of one or
more of the letters.

As for the letter, we need to get this out immediately--I have this sinking
feeling that Friday's N-G is already nearly completely written, and I know the
Octopus goes to print on Tuesday.  Letters to the octopus can be sent to
editor at cuoctopus.com.  The News-Gazette has a set of 'guidelines' and link to
send mail from its website, www.newsgazette.com.

--Sarah

nancy dietrich <nancydietrich at juno.com> wrote:
Sarah & Sascha-
Attached is a copy of the letter to the editor I wrote up for Buy Nothing
Day.  I would like for you to read over it & see what you think,
especially about the stats.  Let me know your thoughts.  Also- I wasn't
sure how to sign it- my name, or somehow link it to the IMC.  I didn't
want to say IMC if the group hadn't approved it, but I wasn't sure what
the etiquette/policy is.  Also- I didn't find anything in the paper
stating policies for letters to the editor, so if you know of any, let me
know.  Besides N-G, who else do you think this should be sent to?
I know you both are busy, so THANK YOU for your time.
Nancy

Also- the articles that are written for IMC- should I be sending them to
everyone on the IMC list , and if so, how would I do this?