[Imc] BND letter

Sarah Kanouse skanouse at usa.net
Mon Nov 20 16:03:22 UTC 2000

Apparently the attachment didn't forward, so here's Nancy's letter--

11/20/00

To the Editor:

I am writing this letter to let your readers know about a little-known holiday
that falls on the day after Thanksgiving:  Buy Nothing Day.  Since 1993, Buy
Nothing Day, promoted by Adbusters Media Foundation based in Vancouver, B.C.,
has been celebrated as an alternative from hitting the malls on what is
traditionally the biggest shopping day of the year.  It gives us an
opportunity to re-think the role consumerism has played in our lives, and
spend time doing more meaningful activities.
Think this is nuts?  Consider the following statistics (taken from Affluenza,
a one-hour documentary that aired on PBS a couple of years ago, and is
available on video):
· By 1987, there were more shopping malls in America than high schools
· 70% of Americans visit shopping malls each week, more than attend church or
synagogue
· People in industrialized nations make up 20% of the world’s population, but
use 80% of the world’s resources, and make 80% of the world’s toxic wastes
· Parents spend an average of 6 hours/wk shopping while only 40 minutes
playing with our children
· Advertising takes up 2/3 of the space in our newspapers, and 40% of our
mail

Malls have become the center of many communities throughout the U.S.  We don’t
shop for what we need anymore.  We shop to give us meaning to our lives
instead of meeting our neighbors, helping those in need, getting involved in
organizations.  In other words, shopping has taken the place of community in a
lot of our lives.
For more information, check out Adbusters’ web site at www.adbusters.org, and,
Happy Buy Nothing Day!