[Imc] Meeting notes 11-26-00

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Sun Nov 26 20:31:50 UTC 2000

IMC Notes
11/26/00
at 1006 S. Garfield

Attending:  Molly Stentz, Sarah Kanouse, Mike Lehman, Danielle Chynoweth, Peter
Miller, Sehvilla Mann (facilitator), Sascha Meinrath , Brian Hagy, Russel
Dietrich-Rybicki, Nancy Dietrich-Rybicki, Brent McDonald, Eric Hiltner, Kate
McDowell, Mark Enslin, Ilan Eyman.

INTRO'S:

Kate McDowell, Russel D-R, Brent McDonald, Nancy D-R,

NEWS

The Week in Review

Nursing Home. Long-term project.  Mike's working on it.

Buy-Nothing Day.  Nancy wrote a letter to the editor.  Crit Mass didn't do
anything.  Nancy will write an article about consumerism.

Race in the Public Schools.  Sascha's working on it.  People are needed!  It's
a big project that could involve several people.  Dec. 9 at 10:30 a.m. - noon.

Greens/Democrats.  Nothing written.  Peter and Brent are planning their
WEFT-IMC radio news program.

Music Department Protest against Ian Hobson.  Mark Enslin will look into it.

DSC changes, reduction in rights.  Brian hasn't been able to do anything on it.

ASSIGNMENTS

Citizen Action conference in Peoria--Danielle's going.  Sat. Dec. 1.

Illinois Dept. of Ag. meeting on Factory Dairy Farm in Bellflower. 6 or 7
p.m.--Molly leaving at ~4.  Molly wants to record it.  Proposed 3500 cow
confinement dairy.  Local resistance in Bellflower.  Water, soil, air,
communities, etc.  Tues. evening, N28, first public forum. Sierra Club
involved, too.  Sehvilla wants to go, too.

Urbana's greenspace/parking/bike parking plans. 7:30 p.m. Monday at Urbana City
Building. Molly, Russ, Eric will cover it.

Urbana-Skate boarders in the Urbana parking ramp.  Eric will write an update.

EU Beef ban--Mad cow in France!  Sehvilla will watch it.

Gazettewatch--Gazette--mucho GMO, strike in Seattle, Haiti election, global
warming treaty negotiation, EU.

WEFT PROGRAMS:

Will the reporters commit to finish some sort of story for the IMC news
programs on WEFT?

Mike already has:  ~40 minutes from the Debs dinner, plus news: Urbana
greenspace, Bellflower, faculty without tenure, physicians at Christie, county
jobless rate at all-time low but not living wage, catholic worker house
reopens, disparity in sentencing between drug dealers and tobacco sales, local
election petitions still available, illiniwek discussions in Edison middle
school, 3500 nader voters give edge to democrats.

UPDATES

Equipment -- No update.

RFU -- No update.

Radical Librarians and Anarchists -- Meeting 5 pm on the 27th.  Contact Ellen
Knutsen for more info.

Fundraising -- Things are going well.  New founding funder, Amy Aidman.  At 13
currently.

WEFT Programs -- Uniform intro and outro.  Mark E., Paul R., and Eric H. will
hopefully take care of producing something each program can use.

Tech -- Website is working!  urbana.indymedia.org and champaign.indymedia.org
It's functional, but not clean.  If anyone doesn't like the design, they should
tell Danielle what TO do, not what NOT to do.

Website Launch Party, Nov. 30.  Sarah, Peter, Danielle, Molly Sascha.  Where?
Paradiso on D1?  Red Herring?  Sarah will call the two.  Douglass Library--Kate
will call.  Time:  8 p.m.  Sarah will write a press release to be sent on
Thursday.  Bring what we've done, bring a poster showing accomplishments.  Come
in costume?  Video showings:  IMC video and Seattle video (Ben Harp has it),
"This is what democracy looks like."  "Showdown in Seattle"--Mark may have it.

Outreach -- Sascha--Nat'l assn of black journalists. Email sent. No response,
yet.  Molly is talking to Springfield IMC people next week.

SPACE

Cinema cafe.  Out of play.  Norm and Carolyn are opening their own thing
(cafe/cinema), and they aren't interested in sharing space with IMC.  They're
thinking about leasing space to other media production companies.

Chub Connor's old space.  Review a blueprint.  Big, flexible space.  The owners
are willing to do what we need for the bldg.  Drawback:  they plan on
renovating, restoring to orig. condition (Move entrance so shared with all 3
spaces (Laser's edge, apartments, IMC); back room will shrink somewhat; replace
tin ceilings, (16 foot high))  while we're occupying the space.  Heating costs
will increase when ceilings are raised.  Poor lighting, air flow.  New
carpeting needed.  Electricity not separately-metered, but they're willing to
show us power bills so we can separate costs. Not central air conditioning.
Heat from one small radiator, remainder from the basement.  Landlords will be
living in the building.

Accept one-year lease?  Discount during construction?  Rent after renovation?
(Currently $700)  Antenna for RFU atop the building?  Not as tall as OJC
building.  Movie screening and parties OK?  When renovations done?

Discussion about alternate space took place.  (See appendix.)

Move ahead with Chub space?  Yesish, it seems.  What answers to questions are
acceptable?
Minimum requirements:  new carpet, get rid of fluorescents, knock down 3/4
walls, max electric bill established, install ceiling fans.

Next week have meeting with landlords, initiate paperwork.  Next Sunday, hear
answers and decide.

Next Week's facilitator:  Danielle.

Fin.  2:25 p.m.

Appendix: Discussion about alternate space

Other spaces--nothing currently...  2nd Floor of WEFT?  (Bad because in
Champaign.)    Should we be raising money to purchase a building?  How long do
we expect it to live?  What kind of rent burden to we want to take on?  How
will having a public space help?

Free space would be better.  Investment in technology to make money probably
won't work because technology becomes obsolete so quickly and because the
university/other institutions can/will under-sell us.  Can we really expect to
fund someplace out of individual donations?  Do we have a viable long-term
funding plan?

If we don't have a storefront, we won't be able to raise any revenues from
sales.  Membership in IMC, renting out meeting space, on-site activities for
general public (coffee house/news stand/book store/show movies for
donation/speakers).  WEFT also has money to pay for news production; we could
sell recordings a'la Alternative Radio.

Use WEFT/Dave Monk's spaces?  Longer-term, but Dave has accomplished much with
no resources.  We could put office upstairs at WEFT and use a storefront next
door.