[Imc] meeting notes 10-8-00

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 9 16:32:21 UTC 2000

At 10:51 AM 10/9/00 -0500, Zachary Miller wrote:

>I really want to see a follow up article on La Bambas. I know it will
>never happen.

No, that will never happen, because La Bamba sued, resulting in an
out-of-court settlement and Paul Young being fired by the parent
company.  Records are sealed, and the Octopus published a hazy, double-talk
retraction.

So much for learning the lesson that if you're going to do investigative
journalism, you have to make sure you're not just publishing one-sided
accusations.  Instead, the lesson the Octopus learned was "thou shalt not
question local businesses and their practices."

--Paul