[Imc] Equipment Committee Report

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 12 01:53:45 UTC 2000

Paul R. and Mike L. met; Paul K. was called away to Newspoetry.

The list of equipment is still being compiled. We will eventually have a
list of what's available for loan and who/where to contact to use it, as
desired.

It was thought that a simple course in basic recording would be a good
place to start with training. We would propose to do the training, maybe
15 minutes max, on one of these dates:
Oct. 22
Oct. 29
Nov. 5

Thus, we'll have at least a basic grip on what it takes to make a usable
audio recording before the election. If we do a short review of
journalism interview basics, also, we can be fully ready to cover the
election in a credible matter.
We have enough equipment available to send teams to do interviews where
the votes are counted at the County Admin. Building and also to cover
the Dem, Green, and Republican HQs. More advanced training in editing,
etc can come at a later date, as desired. We can decide what meeting is
best to do this next Sunday, Oct. 15.

We also came up with the idea of initially suggesting that people do
field recording in pairs. One person can concentrate on the recording
and the other can concentrate on doing the interview. This will
facilitate getting the feel for doing this and allow everyone's skills
to develop by concentrating on one task at a time. People can switch off
roles until they feel comfortable with what's required to get good audio
and content. Then it should be easy for one person to do this with
experience. We thought this is a good suggestion so that the learning
curve is not so steep, since most of us haven't done this on a regular
basis.

While there is plenty of equipment to lend right now, eventual wear and
tear will dictate that the IMC obtain or have donated its own gear.
Nothing needs to be done about this right away, but it needs to be kept
in mind.

Mike Lehman