[Imc] Name?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 12 02:30:46 UTC 2000

My arguments below for the utility/charm of the various proposed names.

For the name that is public-our front name, if you will-I support:

Urbana Indy Media Center

This preserves the common image-maybe it's a brand name, but it's a good
one-of IMC, Indy Media Center. While we will have our own local twist to
this well-known and respected collective, I think it is important for us
to connect with this concept. It will give us credibility, visibility,
and recognizability that will be far beyond anything we can do for
ourselves in the near term. We can then fit right into the concept with
Champaign, Rantoul, Decatur, Danville, Springfield IMCs, as they
develop.

I think it is important to go ahead and take control of the Champaign
IMC moniker. There should not be two IMCs in the Twin Cities, except as
seperate bureaus of the same mother organization. We simply don't have
the resources to spread ourselves so thin and I can see nothing that
should divide us. I think we should go ahead and go with Urbana for now,
as that's where we are. When Champaign people get involved enough, they
can propose a seperate bureau, or we can simply put anything about
Champaign (the city) specifically under the Champaign IMC. A complicated
thing when we get to thinking about it, but I think that this is at
least a rough draft of what of a way to go with this.

For the actual organizational name that we would use on our name tags,
etc (UIMC can still be on there in fine print) and which would be our
corporate name, I support:

Community Media Alliance

I think this says what we are, simply enough. I did like Civic as a
term, but I think that Community does a even better job of describing
what we are about. It also think it is warmer and more lovable than
Civic, which seems a little on the cool side to me. I did think of one
way to rewrite the name to reflect the Twin City side of things. How
about:

CommUnity Media Alliance ???????

That has several interesting twists to it, don't you think?

Mike Lehman