[Imc] Notes from 10/15/2000 meeting

Zachary Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Mon Oct 16 07:35:13 UTC 2000

Here are Peter's notes from Sunday's meeting as ascii formatted by myself:

IMC
at 1006 S. Garfield

Attending: Paul Riismandel (facilitator), Todd _____, Zach Miller,
Sascha Meinrath, Sarah Kanouse, Sehvilla Mann, Andy ______, Celeste
Verhelst, Dave Powers, Danielle Chynoweth, Molly Stentz, Mike Lehman,
Brian Hagy, Ellen Knudsen, Jim Buell, Mark Enslin

Meeting began at 12:10

Facilitator:  Peter volunteered to facilitate the next meeting.

Name: Existing candidates were listed, more were solicited, none were
offered.

	Name should be broad enough to include other cities in the
	region,	maybe form an alliance with other cities, later.

	IMC connects to the movement, but will we tire of
	'independent'?

	Take back the word, 'civic' (Civic media center)?  'Civic' may
	raise images of the local government (do we want this?).

	Urbana-Champaign Civic Media Center Some feel strongly about
	including the 'civic' concept in our image.  Will either name
	be more broadly appealing to marginalized communities?

	"Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center" selected by consensus.

S26 Materials:  Things were handed over to Molly.

Reports:  Info, first; action suggestions, later.

News gp: Trainings, set up a listserv for discussion among 'reporters'
& send periodic updates to the main list.  DC and PM recorded the
Chicago Nader rally; DC uploaded some to IMC & sent email to wefta
announcing the availability of material.  Nader caravan on campus at
noonish on Tues. at alma mater. people volunteered to cover it.

Tech: Zach got the server almost ready.  G-IMC's software is not
well-packaged, at all. Z & Molly will work on it.

Incorporation: Witnesses, $50, directors needed (contactable people
who won't disappear off the face of the earth).  Employer
Identification Number application is in.

Fundraising: SM proposes that we begin asking the $50 donors to begin
paying, now.  We'll have expenses incorporating, etc.

Space: DC another in to Norm & Carolyn Baxley (cinema cafe owners) has
been found. Need to strategize after this meeting.

Regional Networking: No rept.

RFU: No rept.

Radical Librarians: No rept.

Equipment:  Mike L will mail out list of equip.

Print:  No rep present

Actions

Incorporation: Purpose is established.  BOD solicited. DC proposes
that the BOD does not make decisions without consulting with the
committee of the whole. Agreed.  Mike Lehman, Danielle Chynoweth,
Molly Stentz, Sascha Meinrath, Brian Hagy volunteered and will be
listed as directors.

Address: Use Mike Lehman's PO box for US mail (Box 953, Urbana 61803)
Registered office address is On the Job Consulting (115 Main St.,
Urbana, 61801).

Tech training: Date: 29 Oct as part of the regular meeting. Basic use
of MDs, cassette recorders, etc; and "how-to conduct interviews".

DC has David Barsamian tape discussing interviews.  DC proposes that
we listen to it as a group and discuss it.  CLAM course about computer
audio, video, etc. by Brian Hagy - Sun 3-5 pm at 115 Main St.

Fundraising: Joint fundraiser with Greens, etc.  Jim Buell and Sarah
are planning.  Speeches, performances, etc. are encouraged. contact
Sarah.  Sustaining donors have been found, but we need more!  Sascha
will open a bank account and sign checks until another treasurer is
found.  PIFI?  CDBG money?  Partnership Illinois?  Working with
disenfranchised people opens possibilities for grants.

Broadening the group: New meeting place.  Next meeting will be at the
school, but we'll look for other spaces.  DC will pursue Urban
League and Cinema; others should look, too.  Peter will look into
McKinley Foundation.

Promotional Materials?  Need an explanation of what we do.  What would
you like to see in a mission statement?  Send your ideas to imc list.

Meeting adjourned at 1:40 pm.

--
Zachary C. Miller - Go We Go - http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/ - @=
IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet