[Imc] Staley Trial comes to Urbana 10-31

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Sun Oct 22 23:07:57 UTC 2000

The note below was posted to the Chicago IMC, about a trial soon to take place here in Urbana.  This is a national news story that'll be happening right in our front yard (the federal courthouse is just south of the Elite Diner), and we can play a role.

The trial is about police violence against locked-out workers in Decatur in 1995.  I don't have many of the specifics of the trial, but I recall the events.  During a large rally in Decatur, protesters were standing toe-to-toe with the police at the factory gate at Staley Manufacturing.  Suddenly and without explanation, the police began spraying the line of workers/protesters with pepper gas.  Police sprayed numerous people, including Jerry Tucker, a reform leader in the UAW.  The affected people filed a class-action lawsuit against the City of Decatur in response.

Jerry is asking for supporters of the workers (and other opponents of police violence) to show up at the trial, and I think that's the least we can do.  It would be better if we could organize other opponents of police violence to show up at the trial, as well. People involved in the Independent Media Center can help publicize the trial.

Does anyone have ideas about who we could encourage to attend the trial?

Does anyone want to "report" on the trial?  We could probably get something into the Octopus, we should definitely post items to the IMC websites, and it would be great to have email updates just for those of us who want to follow the trial but can't show up every day.

Finally, does anyone on these lists think they should be included in the class that's filing suit?

-Peter

>Dear Friend of the Staley Workers
>
>Those of us gassed in Decatur seem at long last about to get our day in
>court.  The "class action"claim against the City of Decatur has  been set
>for trial to begin on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 in Urbana, IL.  It should
>last that entire week, and may stretch into the next according to attorney
>Jan Susler.
>
>It's important that as many members of the class (& other supportive
>persons) as possible try to attend all or part of the  trial.   Please pass
>the word any and all concerned and  encourage people to attend.
>
>Best to all.
>
>In Solidarity,
>
>Jerry Tucker
>New Directions Education Fund
>for more information:
>Work:   (314) 531-2900
>E-Mail: uhcw at fastnet.com
>
>4144 Lindell Blvd #214
>St Louis, MO 63108

Peter Miller, co-host
The Illinois Labor Hour, Saturdays 11 a.m. - noon
WEFT 90.1 FM
113 N. Market St.
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 359-9338 (WEFT) / (217) 337-5968 (fax) / (217) 367-1336 (h)
peterm at shout.net