[Imc] a progressive press for CU.

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Thu Apr 5 22:53:36 UTC 2001

In preparation for Jerry's talk this weekend (Saturday 2 PM @ IMC), where
we will discuss the possibilities of expanding indymedia in town
(especially the idea of starting/acquiring a newspaper).  I thought we
should look into what other cities/IMCs are doing to start and maintain
independent presses.

Here's a little research, which includes work paulR has been doing:

Free Press of the Twin Cities
-----------------------------
Minneapolis and St Paul IMC recently started a print publication called
the Free Press: liberating media in the twin cities.  The Free Press is
being distributed primarily in neighborhoods less likely to have internet
access.
You can download a PDF version at:
http://twincities.indymedia.org./display.php3?article_id=847

NYC-IMC Indypendent
--------------------
The IMC-NYC has been putting out a monthly paper the "Indypendent" since
September, the first issues were 4-pagers, but now they've expanded to 16
pages.
http://nyc.indymedia.org/PrintTeam/

April 1999. Annotations: A Guide to the Independent Critical Press

Independent Press Association
-----------------------------
"the antidote to monopoly media" -- this is a mutual aid society with
resources, access to low interest loans, and tech help for indy presses
htpp://www.indypress.org

Global IMC Print efforts
-------------------------
"The global IMC-Print team has been making progress on a regular, weekly
pdf project. The idea is to have a 2- page pdf that we can put up on imc
websites to summerize the week's events, or just focus on one particular
issue, such as ftaa or mayday, etc. It can vary as needed.  We are hoping
to have one ready before A20, so that individuals can just print them at
home or at the office, make photocopies, and distribute them themselves,
in their hometown, at the quebec action, at their school, wherever.
http://print.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=7

see you Saturday!

danielle