[Imc] new person coming to our 'hood

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Sat Apr 21 19:07:50 UTC 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:20:21 -0500
From: A Meat Popsicle <ben at byrneweb.com>
To: info at urbana.indymedia.org
Subject: hey hey

Hi there... just thought I'd introduce myself: you'll be hearing a
lot more from me in the future so I figure the sooner I say hello the
better.

Currently I live in Ames, IA, but I'll be attending UIUC this fall as
a PhD student at the Institute for Communications Research. My
research interests involve the political economy of advertising and
the mass media -- I read Chomsky, Bagdikian, Naomi Klein, and of
course UIUC's own Robert McChesney. Once I show up in the fall I'll
be looking to start attending meetings and helping the IMC chapter as
much as my first-year grad student/TA schedule allows.

My undergrad degree is actually a BFA in graphic design, and I've
several years experience in web design and development, so I should
be able to help with creating informational promotional materials
(logos, posters, brochures, you name it) as well as website
updating/enriching/revising etc. -- hopefully these skills will be of
value.

You might be interested in checking out one of my current side
projects, stickybuffalo.com, which is essentially just a weblog but
with a rather indy media theme (check out the archive for what I had
to say about coverage of the downed EP-3 if you don't believe me).

Oh, and I also have maybe $100-200 earmarked to give to charity,
which would include the IMC... but I'd really prefer to wait until
you eanr 501(c) status or whatever it is before I contribute
financially.

Anyway, I hope I can be of help, and I look forward to meeting you this fall.

Ben Byrne  :::  ben at byrneweb.com
            :::  http://www.byrneweb.com/ben

http://www.stickybuffalo.com:
"What The Daily Show's site *should* be."
                -Steve Cullison