[Imc] Robert Meade "Bobby" "Israel" Deaf Messenger

Brian Hagy bhagy at onthejob.net
Wed Aug 22 16:29:23 UTC 2001

irritating people, perspectives, and writings are difficult to deal with,
i agree.  however, which person, perspective, or writing doesn't get to
have a public arena?  if we began to say this one is ok, but this one is
not (due to whatever reason or reasons) how are we behaving any
differently than any corporate media source (whose reasons for avoiding
certain people, perspectives, writing are much more stringent than ours, i
admit).  i consider intentionally hiding someone's posting to be
intentionally silencing it (we want it to be there, but for no one to read
it without difficulty).  useful perhaps (maybe even desirable), but
definitely contrary to any open publishing format.

what will happen if conservatives decide to repeatedly post to the site?
do we intentionally hide them too?

an idea (which would require some programming work, i suspect):
a rating system, which people who read the articles can rate the articles
(higher the number, the more interesting someone finds the article, for
example), thus things can be ordered by what the masses find interesting.
a rating system maybe also for writers, in addition to articles.  dunno,
still has that flavor of intentionally hiding something (but at least it's
done by a much larger group, rather than us few folks).

i just get nervous when people start trying to hide or get rid of things
just because they don't like the image that the controversial thing
presents.  (sounds too much like queer bashing to me, amongst other
image-inspired hate activities).

well, my four and a half cents worth.  comments?

brian