[Imc] Queer activists acquitted

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 30 11:16:29 UTC 2001

The "Springfield 5," a group of five women from the 85% Coalition who
disrupted a Senate Executive Committee Hearing last May when the Committee
announced that it would not hear a gay rights bill (House Bill 101), were
acquitted yesterday of the charge of criminal trespass to state supported
land. Our case has been dismissed and closed. No other charges are pending.
We are free and clear.

Thank you to Walter Matherly, Robert Dunn, and Becca Glaser for supporting
us during our trial.  Becca's videotape of our civil disobedience was our
main defense.

The state had to demonstrate that after the officers approached while we
were chanting in front of the hearing room that they told us to leave and we
refused.  They failed to do this. They stood next to us, and we chanted as
we waited for some direction from the officers and after awhile they pulled
on us and we were escorted out of the room. They forcefully pulled and
jerked two of ours members' arms high up their backs while we were being led
by the officers out of the hearing room.

One police officer lied on the stand yesterday.  He stated that Mary Lee
told him when we were being questioned after our arrest that we were warned
and told to leave.  This same officer's written report, which was submitted
as evidence, too, contains Mary Lee's statement but nothing about being
warned.

We hear how police officers lie all of the time, and they did in our case,
too. We were smart and had our own video of the civil disobedience.  If not,
it would have been the officers' words against ours. The state's attorney
kept saying over and over, "We have testimony from two law enforcement
officials..."

In early October, the 85% Coalition will hold a workshop at the Champaign
Public Library to talk more about our case, civil disobedience, and the need
for more direct action around House Bill 101, which is still alive in the
Senate.

For more than 23 years, we have been trying to get equal protection under
the law. How much longer will queer people accept our status as 2nd class
citizens?

Join us!

Kimberlie