[Imc] question

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 30 20:02:53 UTC 2001

Roy,
The best answer may be that we are an online community, as much as a
physical presence. The IMCs are based on the website that is interactive
with those who use it. But we also have a regular radio show on WEFT, do
pieces for national radio news porgrams, have ongoing news coverage that
must be coordianted between busy people, and have a print newspaper, The
public-i, whose latest edition should hit the streets today. All this
work is done by different, often overlapping groups of volunteers who
try to coordinate things to cover as much as possible.

We are also a group organized primarily on consensus lines of decision
making. Although this can seem like a lengthy and unclear process that
requires time and effort to implement and which has its own set of
problems (don't get me started), We've found that it works for us, but
often requires an extended discussion.
Democracy isn't nearly as neat and bloodless as the corporate-managed
media would have people believe and it's sometimes a bit of a shock that
everyone is so engaged and active when they get involved at an IMC. But
it's they way we are and we've accomplshed some great successes in the
past year since we started forming a local IMC. I'm sure almost anyone
can find a comfortable spot in the organization with a little
persistence. It's a rewarding feeling to do the work we do.

Those who are just interested in knowing what's happening at the IMC
should subscibe to just the Events list. If you want to get involved in
a particular subject area, chose to sign up for one or more of those
lists. And if it is all too overwhelming, don't forget that at the
bottom of every message is a link that will take you to the place where
you can make chnages in what you are subscribed to.
Mike Lehman