[Imc] [Imc-librarians] FWD: Possible virus; HOAX!!

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 6 15:31:34 UTC 2001

Ok so kill me for spreading rumors. I've learned my chicken-little lesson.
Check Symantec's site for the scoop on this:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html

Please forgive me.

James Jacobs

Hi all, I just got an email about a virus and checked my computer. Sure enough
the virus was there.  I don't know how long it's been there, so even if I
haven't e-mailed you lately, follow the directions at the very bottom and just
check to make sure you don't have the virus on your computer.  It may stay on
your hard drive for months and do nothing, but it's timed to go off, and when
it does it will erase your whole hard drive.  If you have it, make sure you
delete it from your hard drive and your recycle bin.  Whatever you do, do not
open it.  Sorry if I sent it to you, but it's easy to fix if you find it right
away.

James Jacobs

So I am now e-mailing all of you to tell you how you
>>      > can check
>>      > and delete the virus. It is very simple.
>>      > >
>>      > > This virus supposedly is programmed to activate after being
on
>>      > your C
>>      > drive for a while. Because of the delay in activation, it does
>>      > not get
>>      > picked up by the ant virus programs like McAfee or Norton. No
>>      > one knows how
>>      > long this virus has been on the system. It is possible that it
>>      > has been
>>      > around for several months. When it does become active, it will
>>      > erase all
>>      > files and folders on your hard drive. The virus gets spread
when
>>      > you send
>>      > out emails and filters into C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND. In order to
find
>>      > this virus,
>>      > follow the instructions below:
>>      > > - Click on "start"
>>      > > - Choose "search" or "find"
>>      > > - Choose "files and folders"
>>      > > - Select "find"
>>      > > - Select "C drive"
>>      > > - Name of file to search for: SULFNBK.EXE
>>      > > If you find this file, DO NOT OPEN IT! Select by right
>>      > clicking on your
>>      > mouse and DELETE it. Then close the window and EMPTY your
>>      > RECYCLE BIN
>>      > > The good news is that YOU HAVE ELIMINATED THE VIRUS on YOUR
>>      > computer. The
>>      > bad news is that you have transmitted this virus to anyone you
>>      > may have
>>      > e-mailed in the last month. Thus the reason for this message. I
>>      > am truly
>>      > sorry. Please contact everyone in your address book and pass
>>      > this message
>>      > along.

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"