[Imc] steering group minutes 2/9/01

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 10 21:23:55 UTC 2001

At 02:50 PM 12/10/2001 -0600, John Wason wrote:
>I don't know if I get to have an opinion on any of this since I didn't
>attend the Steering Group meeting?  As you have probably guessed by now, I'm
>gonna express a couple anyway.
John, everybody gets to have an opinion, but it seems that deliberation
works best face-to-face, so I recommend that you do attend the next
Steering Meeting if you want to be sure you can hear and be heard.

>I saw the subsequent e-mails on this.  What if a person were limited to one
>non-commercial post per day?  Would that be a significant problem?  Is it
>technically feasible?
>
>I'm curious how you monitor the frequency of posts without logging the posts
>and somehow having the computer count them.

When people sign their posts, like Mssrs. Meade and Larrabee, it's pretty
easy to track.  We have no way to track those who change pseudonyms.

>At any rate, I can't imagine that one non-commercial post per day would
>overwhelm the UC-IMC.  And that's a simple, equitable guideline that doesn't
>restrict content, other than the "non-commercial" requirement.
The issue isn't overwhelming the system but instead making the Newswire
useful.  If a visitor has to hunt through a mass of mostly cross-posted
content of little local interest that doesn't make much effort at reporting
on news of some sort, then we look like a site only useful to find content
posted everywhere and rambling manifestos.  We don't want stuff posted by
local citizen-journalists to be obscured by a flood of stuff mostly from
somewhere else and being posted across the system, as it serves as both a
disincentive to reading and posting to our site.

Currently there are four days worth of postings on the Newswire portion of
the website front page.  If someone were to post once per day, then s/he
would have a total of 4 posts out of 20 displayed on the Newswire.  If it's
two people, then 8 out of 20, and so on. Pretty quick it looks like there
are only a handful of authors, which starts to make it look like an
exclusive club.  Hence the desire to find some balance between being open
and also making sure there's useful space for everyone.

If there's twenty people in a room, there can be ten different quiet
conversations.  If one person has a bullhorn, then you really only have one
monologue.

I'll refer you to our current Website Appropriate Use Policy
(http://urbana.indymedia.org/website_policy.php3):
"The newswire is primarily intended for the posting and discussion of news,
opinions, ideas and experiences that relate to current events and news,
particularly that of interest to people in the greater Urbana-Champaign
area. The Newswire is especially intended to be available and useful to
peoples, ideas and news that are overlooked or systematically excluded from
the dominant media. These are necessarily broad categories of postings that
include a wide diversity of approaches, however there are types of posts
and posting behaviors that are not included.

"The newswire is a virtual commons that the IMC intends to be open fairly
and equally to all who would want to use it. As a commons, there are basic
ground rules that allow the commons to be fairly available and useful to as
many people as possible. The principle guiding these rules is that the IMC
discourages postings that compromise the availability and usefulness of the
newswire as a commons and the IMC reserves the right to hide or remove such
postings....

"The following are types of situations and posts which may be hidden by the
IMC Steering Group, along with guidelines for determining what should be
hidden....
·       Flooding or Spamming of Posts - this is when a single individual
posts multiple times in a short period in a manner that indicates that the
poster's purpose is to flood the newswire or push other posts off the front
page of the IMC website, which typically only contains ten to twenty of the
most recent posts. This type of posting behavior can only truly be
identified after several occurrences, and depends heavily on the amount of
volume of posts. It can be difficult to stop because posters can change
screen names at a whim. Therefore the utmost care must be taken to make
sure that only posts that are made by a known "spammer" are hidden.
·       Off-Topic Posts - this is perhaps the most difficult category of
inappropriate posts to judge, since the IMC Newswire intends to be a forum
that is open to a broad range of topics and ideas. Nonetheless there are
posts that are baldly and clearly inappropriate, whose purpose seems
clearly to be other than informing, educating or adding to a public
discourse. In the worst cases their appearance on the IMC Newswire may
indeed discourage other visitors from using the site. Isolated posts are
typically not problematic, and so the problem of off-topic posts is usually
related to flooding or spamming. Therefore the frequency of off-topic posts
of a particular type should be considered when deciding whether to hide them. "

--Paul