[Imc] installing software on mojo

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Wed Dec 12 00:19:33 UTC 2001

ok, this might seem silly, but i think it's worth pointing out just in
case people aren't paying attention.

if you need to install software on mother jones, please install the
software onto the D: drive (which is even labeled programs!!!).  This will
help keep the C: drive from filling up, as it does on Sergei.

When installing the software, the install wizard will ask you where you
want to install it.  typically, the default path is to C:\program files
and into whatever folder it is named.  IMPORTANT:  this path has to be
changed (don't worry, it doesn't affect how the programs will run, just
where they launch from).  Change it so that the drive is D: (you don't
need to keep the Program Files folder as part of the path, but you should
keep the folder name of the program, which is usually the name of the
program itself).  Thus, for example, if the original install path is--
C:Program files\Gator, change this to D:\Gator.  Windows might say "this
folder doesn't exist, do you want it to be created?"  Click on yes.

Mother jones has been set up fairly orderly.  i hope people will continue
that orderliness.  if you have any questions, ask me or paul r.  if
you're not sure how to install something....then don't.  ask me or paul
and we'll get it on there for ya.  better to have it installed properly
than to have to try to deinstall everything then try to reinstall (that
can be pretty cumbersome).

i was asked to actually set up mother jones so that no one but the admin
accounts were able to access the C: drive (thus preventing people from
accidentally erasing something, or installing something improperly).  if
things continue to get installed on the c:drive, then this might have to
happen.  i did already ask people once to install programs on the d:drive
(right after paul and i did all this work of getting mother jones back up
and going).  i really don't want to have to keep asking people to pay
attention to what they're doing (unless folks don't know, in which case
i'd be really happy to do some tutorials).

thanks,
brian