[Imc] IMC needs Spanish speakers -- popular protest in Argentina

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 21 00:01:38 UTC 2001

As many of you know the streets of Argentina right now are in chaos and the
president of the country is reported to have resigned as a result of
popular protest against IMF-mandated austerity measures.

Most of the IMC news is posted to  Argentina IMC
(http://argentina.indymedia.org) and is in Spanish, which most Americans
can't read.  I think it would be a great service to the IMC community if a
few of our Spanish speakers could post some summaries or translations in
English to our IMC and others.  From the best my weak Spanish can do for
me, the stories posted to the IMC provide a good street-level countenance
to the mainstream press, as we would hope and expect.

If anyone wants to take this on (even short one-paragraph summaries of
recent Argentina IMC posts would be great) go ahead and just post them to
the Newswire.  I'll move them to features when they show up or if you alert
me to their existence.

Thanks,

Paul