[Imc] GLOBAL IMC proposal

Zachary C.Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Tue Feb 6 13:25:47 UTC 2001

We need to appoint a locally empowered liason to global IMC stuff to
handle these kind of meetings.

Unfortunately there is no information on the time for this upcoming
IRC meeting and it is on a Sunday. We'll see how the details pan out.

(please read this whole message as there are important comments from
me below after the quoted material)

> From: "Richard Malter" <rmalter at email.msn.com>
> To: [lots of IMCs all over the world]
> Subject: Proposal for discussion 04Feb01 / IMC communication
> Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 23:07:03 -0000
>
> Dear local IMC contact (and other recipients),
>

> *CONTENT
>
> Please receive the following proposal for the formation of a new global list
> and associated process, to be considered by local IMCs.
> Next week on February 11 the second global IRC meeting will take place
> (which was moved from February 4), where it is planned that this proposal
> will be discussed as a major item on the agenda.
>
> *ACTION REQUESTED
>
> During this next week, please pass on this proposal to your local group,
> with the request that time be allocated to discussing it, so that via a
> representative(s) attending the IRC meeting on February 11, a pre-considered
> response can be given by the group. In addition to furthering the discussion
> about this proposal, this procedure - will also hopefully strengthen the
> habit of inter-IMC communications.
>
> Thank you for the help,
>
> Richard
>

> ****To reply to this message please post to:
>
> imc-communication at lists.indymedia.org
>

>                           **PROPOSAL**
>
> To create a "Proposals" list which would include *only* solid and formally
> worded proposals to be decided upon; [possibly discussion of the proposals];
> subsequent amendments; and votes.
>
> This would be differ from any current list where more general ideas for
> discussion can be posted without the actual and stated intention that a
> decision be made and implemented.
>
> The discussions leading to a proposal being posted to the "Proposal" list,
> would have taken place in the dedicated email lists (global, process,
> communication, tech, editorial, etc), and also possibly on IRC.
>
> The requirements for: contributing to the vote; 100%
> concensus, 2/3 majority etc., remains to be worked out.
>
> Also, if created, this "Proposal" list might help free a lot of people from
> too numerous IMC list subscriptions.
>

> [please see http://www.ainfos.ca/org/policy_decision.html for an example of
> a decison making policy in this kind of list]
>

>            **** End proposal*****

I have not yet attended any of the global IMC IRC meetings. I don't
know if anyone from our group has. I am not currently on any of the
global IMC email lists except for the global imc-tech list which I
don't really read at the moment. I think Molly is also on that list.

It is probably a good idea for us to get more involved with the global
movement now that we are on our feet.

Global IMC lists can be joined at:
http://lists.indymedia.org

Information on attending IRC meetings is at:
http://process.indymedia.org/howtoattend.php3

I can train people about the little I know about how to navigate the
arcane structure of the global IMC but I can't actually keep on top of
global goings on.

Any volunteers?

IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet
Ya Basta! - http://www.greens.org