[Imc] sweatshop speaker at Allen hall

Laura Haber comradelaura at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 20:52:50 UTC 2001

Please Forward:

Jim Keady volunteered to live for a month in Indonesia on the typical
wages- about $1.20 a day - of an Indonesian factory worker sewing shoes
for Nike. The experience confirmed, he says, that "Nike is paying a
starvation wage in Indonesia. I know - I starved on it."

Jim Keady and fellow activist Leslie Kretzu are going to speak about the
wages and conditions of Nike's factory workers in Jakarta at Allen Hall
Main Lounge, 1005 W. Gregory, Friday, Feb. 9, 4pm.

Jim Keady is the Director of the Olympic Living Wage Project, a human
rights initiative that is focused on telling the human story behind the
sweatshop debate that is raging on college campuses across the country.
Keady is a former professional soccer player with the NJ Imperials and a
former college coach with the St. John's University Red Storm. He is also
a theologian concentrating his studies in social ethics, liberation
theology and pastoral theology. Keady has a unique position within the
anti-sweatshop campaign in that he is the only known professional or
college athlete that has publicly refused to take part in endorsing the
Nike Corporation.