[Imc] Re: Sexist ads in C-U

Paul Kaiser buddy1 at advancenet.net
Wed Feb 21 20:12:29 UTC 2001

Mr. Hanzel,

You do have a well-adjusted viewpoint to these ads. Indeed, I doubt anyone started
this campaign with negative intentions. The idea is clever, and does have sort of a
"pop-art, back to the prosperous times" appeal to it. Marketing message: "Lucky You
can take you back to simpler times."

These are not simpler times, sir. These are times when "traditional" lines between
genders are being blurred and erased. Young women have a greater chance now to grow
up with a healthy sense of self-worth not tied to the acceptance and admiration of
a man.

When you say "These ads do not perpetuate gender roles", you do not speak for
everyone.

You do not speak for any of the women who have struggled against traditional
stereotypes. They try to concentrate on doing something with their lives, rather
than molding themselves to fit some accepted pattern. This campaign works against
the ground they have gained, both in their own minds and the minds of men who
affect their lives.

I do not ask that you change your opinion of the ad campaign, but that you consider
the effects on people other than yourself. While marketing campaigns may have
little effect on some people, they are designed to send very powerful messages to
the masses.

Regards,
Paul Kaiser