[Imc] WILL, IMC, $, Jason. etc.

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 18 17:26:22 UTC 2001

Kimberlie, thanks for the perspective.

I realize that just because WILL is University public radio doesn't mean
that it's overflowing with cash--although I'm sure priority has something
to do with it.  For perspective, WYSO at Antioch College in Yellow Springs,
OH uses community volunteers during the evening and they're not paid.  Like
you mentioned, the opportunity to be on-air and have some programming
freedom is considered payment enough.  The only problem I see with this
model is that it is two-tiered--some people are paid for being on air while
others aren't.

At least at WEFT and other community stations nobody is paid to be on  air.

The only thing that concerns me is that the IMC is treated with due respect
by the various media outlets we work with--we shouldn't be treated as
second class and shouldn't accept such treatment.  People should be
encouraged to work with us, rather than have us work for them.  (I don't
mean to insinuate that anyone currently treats us this way now).

Further, I also hope that we try to reciprocate this respect--that we don't
fall all over ourselves to work with WILL but take WEFT for granted.  Don't
get me wrong, the opportunity to potentially work with WILL is unique and
speaks volumes about how different WILL-AM is from most of the public radio
establishment.  WILL reaches a larger audience than WEFT, but if our
programs run after sun-down, then that audience is cut back more than 75%.

I don't think we necessarily need to be paid for everything we do--but if
we're making significant investments of time and money, and especially if
that effort is saving a media outlet money, then it's fair to expect some
remuneration.  It's context dependent, of course.

--Paul