[Imc] RECYCLING AT THE IMC

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 01:03:18 UTC 2001

Most people who use the IMC seem to be aware of the opportunities for
recycling that we offer there. I think some aspects of the recycling
operation are misunderstood and thus I offer this refresher on recycling
protocol.

Since we are a business location, we do not receive recycling service.
In fact, we don't even have trash disposal. The Space group has been
taking care of this on their own by taking it to our homes and disposing
and recycling IMC stuff there. This means that members of the Space
group take this upon themselves to do as part of their volunteer service
to the IMC by hauling it to our homes for proper disposal.

One particular problem we have encountered at the IMC is the issue of
cleaning and rinsing food and beverage containers. While many of these
items are, in fact, recyclable, they are NOT ready to be recycled UNTIL
they have been rinsed and cleaned. It is up to the person placing these
items into the recycling to insure that all they put there has been
RINSED AND/OR CLEANED FIRST.

Items that contain obvious residue that attracts insects and vermin WILL
BE CONSIDERED TO BE TRASH and, if found in the recycling, will be sorted
out and THROWN OUT WITH THE TRASH. It is the responsibility of the
person disposing of the item to do this, NOT those who have to take this
stuff home and set it on our front porches until recycling day.

I realize that there are some who have acquired bad habits in recycling,
either through ignorance or because they were never properly instructed
in this minor courtesy. Perhaps you put up with all the bugs drawn at
your own residence, but the rest of us should not have to suffer because
of this. You should also be aware that some poor person, probably making
minimum wage and working under nasty conditions, at some point has to
sort through the recyclables. The nastier you leave them, the tougher a
job you are making for someone who already probably has a tough life.

SO....
Respect the environment
Respect the efforts of IMC volunteers
Respect the work of hardworking recycling workers
Recycling...
CLEAN IT UP,
OR SIMPLY GO AHEAD AND PUT IT IN THE TRASH IF YOU"RE TOO LAZY TO DO SO;
THAT'S WHERE IT'LL END UP ANYWAY.

Thanks for reading this message and you cooperation in achieving a
cleaner IMC and world,
Mike Lehman