[Imc] "Genera Print Mtg" Minutes July 5

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 17:24:55 UTC 2001

Minutes of General Print Group Meeting of the IMC

July 5

Facilitator: Lindsey

Note Taker: Sandra Ahten

attending: pauline B., darrin d., ellen k. paul r., paul m., john w., omar ricks., aaron, dave j.

Fundraising:

Lindsey has spoken with the peoples at the High Dive. They have agreed to let us have a fund raising party in their establishment on July 29. Per Paul M., the Rose of the Poster Children have agreed to play. Lindsey will contact them. She needs help with the planning of the party. Please contact her with your suggestions and your willingness to help.

Those who had pledged their $50 were to bring it to this meeting. Some people did. Mike L was there long enough to collect the money. He is saving it to give to Sascha when he gets back. Those who pledged and didn't bring their money need to do so for the next meeting.

Printer:

Per Dave Johnson there is a union shop that is very reasonable south of Decatur. He is finding the information and will pass it on to John Wasson. We agreed to go ahead with the Villa Grove printer which is a "family run" business (10 employees). There seemed to be no union alternatives in the area. Villa Grove is also fairly convenient - distance wise - as someone has to bring the paper there and can then just wait for the turn around. The prices and quantity we agreed to go with was $269 for 5000 copies of a 8 page paper. We agreed that we could change printers in the future if we find a better alternative.

Name:

The two final choices narrowed down from the previous week were Imprint and Public I. To test the water with these and see how strongly people felt we used the same method that was used the previous week to narrow the choices down. That is, every person got three votes you could cast your vote all for the same name or split them as you so desired. With this method the votes for the two were 16 to 17. There was obviously no consensus at this point. We spent ample time convincing each other of the possible reasons for and against each of the names. We looked at the graphic presentations that Darrin had brought for each name. In the end we decided to take a one person / one vote approach. Public I received 9 votes. Imprint received 2 votes. It was felt that consensus was reached due to extended time in discussion and the fact that several people had "changed their mind" obviously due to the discussion.

Regarding the "graphic" for the paper. As a whole we preferred using the "I" that is used in as the logo for the national indy media with the "radiating I" (an illustration of sound waves type of thing). We strongly disliked using an eyeball symbol and generally preferred the verticle format that was depicted over the horizontal format.

Respectfully submitted,

Sandra Ahten