[Imc] Re: [UCIMC-print] General observations and comments from a newbie

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Wed Jul 25 07:38:05 UTC 2001

At 05:46 PM 07/24/2001 -0700, Travas Gunnell wrote:

>Hello all,
>In the brief amount of time that I've been hanging
>around the Urbana IMC (a little over a week), which
>has included two Steering Committee meetings, one
>Tech, and one Print meeting, I have some general
>impressions and suggestions that may be of value.
>
>Availability and Organization of Information:
>
>     While there is certainly no lack of information
>about the events, projects, and other happenings of
>the IMC, it takes a while to figure out where one is
>to find relevant information, or even to realize that
>such information exists.  Bits of useful information
>are spread around between various mailing lists,
>pieces of paper on cluttered cork boards, individuals
>brains, and who knows where else.  I think this is
>confusing to new people who are trying to get a real
>sense of how the IMC operates, what the IMC does, and
>how to get involved.  It also seems to occasionally
>confuse the core members, as has been pointed out by
>Paul Riismandel in reference to the recent happenings
>in the Print group.
>     I think that a central, easy to find, easy to
>read, easy to update, physically existing, well lit,
>general information board would help to alleviate this
>problem.  My suggestion would be a large marker-board,
>using lots of pretty colors, located near the front
>door of the IMC.  Taking into consideration the
>present arrangement of the IMC and the work involved,
>the area to the left of the bathroom, where the
>out-of-date FTAA stuff is, seems like it would be a
>good place.  I would envision this board containing:
>
> - A small section for each of the existing groups,
>with each of these group sections containing a BRIEF
>description of projects being worked on, who to
>contact and how to contact them if you're interested
>in said project, and any pointers to other places to
>look for more information (i.e. corkboard, email list,
>etc.).
>
> - Also, upcoming events; where to find the various
>IMC policies regarding equipment use, food purchases,
>space rental, etc.; any other pertinent issues.
>
>     Furthermore, all members would take pains to
>ensure that the board is kept up to date, and remains
>pretty and easy to read.  A further suggestion would
>be to have some post-it notes of different sizes
>always available so people could leave small,
>temporary, pertinent notes (though I could see this
>potentially leading to a cluttered board).
>
>     Also, this marker-board could be more-or-less
>mirrored online, but then, of course, there's the
>issue of who's going to maintain it.  Since the web
>stuff is mostly done by a small, overworked, group of
>people (one or two?), this probably isn't a terribly
>viable option right now.
>
>So anyway, that's my two cents.  I'm sure others will
>have something to say on this subject...  so, what do
>y'all think?
>
>-Travas

Travas, I concur with the other two posters that it's really cool that you
took the time to hang out at the IMC, rather astutely observe how things get
done (or not done), and then post this cogent and thoughtful summary of your
observations.

I also concur with the other two that you're just the person, in
collaboration with others, to make these things happen.  In all likelihood
the deficiencies you noticed are the same deficiencies that other newbies
also notice but don't take the trouble to point out, and the solutions you
propose are solutions that others would find helpful as well.

I'm sure money could be found for a marker board or whatever relatively
simple supplies you think are needed.  I think the one thing that no one has
yet told you - and that I don't know for sure - is which "working group" to
approach with your suggestions.  Probably the imc steering group meeting on
Sundays at noon, or the imc space group, which meets on Wednesdays at 6:30
PM.  Then the time and energy to implement your suggestions is up to you,
and whoever else might share your interest in getting such things done.  I
can't imagine that it would take THAT much time to implement some of the
changes you suggest.

I note in passing, Travas, that you write quite well, with excellent
spelling and grammar and flow of thought.  May I encourage you to be a
writer/reporter/journalist for the public i?  You can submit ideas about
things that interest you or that you feel need to be covered to whichever
editor you deem appropriate.  I also think - and this is a general
observation - that we desperately need a "pool" of reporters to whom we can
turn when we become aware of something that needs to be reported on.  I'm
aware of such a story right now, and wish that I had a reporter at my
fingertips to whom I could pitch the story, help them frame it, suggest
sources to interview, etc.  Consider becoming such a reporter, Travas, and
recruiting others if you know of anyone who might be interested.

John