[Imc] DIRECT ACTION against WAL-MART

Sehvilla asta at advancenet.net
Fri Jun 8 02:26:22 UTC 2001

  For those of us lawbreaking-impaired activists:
   Does anybody know whether any civil disobedience is planned for the
Wal-mart action?Will there be clearly-defined
parts of the direct action that won't get you arrested?
	Please let me know,
Sehvilla - anlyzstrlz at advancenet.net
_______________________

"...Monsanto's own tests showed increased levels of mastitis, a painful
udder infection, in cows injected with rBGH. According to food safety
experts, increased levels of mastitis would force farmers to use more
antibiotics, which would be more likely to contaminate the cows' milk.
rBGH milk would also spoil faster because it contains more bacteria and
has a higher "somatic cell count" (translated into layman's language, this
means that the milk contains "more pus")."
  John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton, "Toxic Sludge is Good For You"

"...But aren't these fears [about the safety of Monsanto's new technology]
just that -- fears without evidence? The problem is that Monsanto has a
record...The company manufactured virtually all the PCBs in the United
States until they were finally banned in 1976, and taxpayers are still
shelling out to clean up PCB-riddled waste sites. Monsanto also
manufactured Agent Orange, which is linked to cancer and reproductive
problems in Vietnam War vets. And the company makes pesticides, which
contaminate ground water. According to the Environmental Protection
Agency, Monsanto is a "potentially responsible party" at 93 Superfund
sites. In other words, this is a company that has put its faith in
technology before without bothering to properly research the consequences
[or to deal with them - editor]".
                       -- Molly Ivins, "Let's Go Back to Maroon
                          Bluebonnets", Jan. 4th, 1999
www.purefood.org/monlink.html

I don't think that schools or childhood ought to exist to serve the needs
of business. It ought to be the other way around.
                                  - Jonathan Kozol