[Imc] equipment

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 28 17:26:13 UTC 2001

Thanks Paul and Jay.  I agree with Sascha, and also tend to think that a
computerized database is overkill for what we need, and is likely to just
go unused.  As someone who runs an equipment lending facility as his day
job, I'd say that Sascha's clipboard suggestion makes the most sense.

In terms of responsibility for equipment--I think that responsibility has
to rest on the shoulders of a single group, and that having two groups be
responsible will be like two outfielders running for a ball--it just falls
between them.  Therefore I suggest that the Tech group take primary
responsibility for the health and welfare of IMC equipment, and that these
duties can be delegated as needed.  News should have a high priority in
using equipment, but that shouldn't mean News should be responsible for the
equipment.

These problems have served to light a fire under my butt in writing an
equipment use policy, and I will send that out momentarily.  I've tried to
keep it simple and clear.  I submit it for consideration at Sunday's
steering meeting, but since I won't be there I suggest that questions be
sent by e-mail to me, and that perhaps final approval/rewrites/disapproval
wait until the following Sunday (July 8).

--Paul