[Imc] WILL Patterns article

peterm at shout.net peterm at shout.net
Thu Mar 1 16:59:09 UTC 2001

Thanks for that, Kim.  I sent my original message because I thought the
IMC should know what top management at WILL was saying about Pacifica.

I appreciate Don's respect for Pacifica's achievements, and I don't even
necessarily disagree with his assertion that perhaps some changes were/are
needed at Pacifica.

I do dislike, however, his assessment that Pacifica stations need
centralized control over their operations and that today we have less of a
need for independent voices because we live in an era of "peace and
prosperity," which he oddly justaposes against a struggle for "peace and
JUSTICE." Prosperity for a few doesn't equal justice, particularly when we
look behind the curtain and see the sweatshops, genetic pollution,
downsizing, and global disenfranchisement that have helped transfer wealth
to those few.  Even fascism can be peaceful and prosperous, but it never
accompanies justice.  We need media that understands this.

He concludes by raising the bogeyman of "fiduciary responsibility," just
like a CEO.  He may as well say "I think the board must crush Pacifica's
internal democracy because the shareholders demand it."  That's a view
from the executive office, not the broadcast booth.  Pacifica wasn't in
danger of financial death.  Rather than working to find a solution *with*
the staff of the stations or the communities where they operate, the
Pacifica board gave up and forcefully imposed conditions on the stations,
replacing the station manager in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve
in New York, and with armed guards in San Francisco.  It's understandable
that Don omitted these facts from his piece.

I don't think this situation will simply work itself out.  Nor do I
think--as Don apparently does--that we should be satisfied with just
Pacifica and other resource-starved operations for grassroots, radical
media.  As it's done with our forests, our air, our rivers, and our
prairie, our government has given OUR broadcast spectrum to corporate
interests, leaving us--again--with the "vast wasteland" of media that led
to the creation of the CPB in about 1970.  The CBP wasn't enough then.
Today, even the CPB is corrupted with full-scale commercials and a
demonstrable conservative bias (who's the progressive counterpart to Bill
Buckley?  What "balances" the series of pro-capitalist investment programs
like Wall $treet Week and Adam Smith's Money World?).  NPR and PBS won't
begin to criticize the state beyond the bounds set by the other corporate
media.  Underwriting from Kuwait?

And this is our "public" media.  NPR and PBS are as good as it gets in the
world of salaried media professionals.  It's nowhere near good enough.

I think that if we lose Pacifica, we'll lose any progressive influence on
the CPB, leaving us back where we were before Lew Hill founded Pacifica
when radio was young.  Except today, we'll be fighting to scale the walls
of fully corporatized broadcast media.  Will re-entry even be possible?

I wish that rather than siding with his peers who are trying to control
and restructure Pacifica, Don had supported those people who are fighting
to create a different model, run by the people who produce the content and
by the people who it's intended to serve.  In the long run, real
participation by listeners, viewers, and workers would make Don's job a
lot easier.  We should keep trying to learn how to do it, not trash the
model.

-Peter