[Imc] News group notes 3-11-01

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Sun Mar 11 20:53:59 UTC 2001

IMC News Meeting
3/11/01

Meeting begins at 1:18

Jamie Carras, Jason Croft, Sehvilla Mann, Paul Kotheimer, Mark Enslin,
Danielle Chynoweth, Molly Stentz

Last Week:
Exploratory meeting about at family/community center for north
Champaign.  Mark Enslin, Gina Langhout, Sascha Meinrath.  Recorded meeting,
stories posted to web.  Mark felt good about the wide variety of activists
together.

Radio show about the findings of the climate survey.  Gina, Mark, Nancy,
Paul. R., and Paul K. produced it.   It aired on WEFT, Wed. evening.  CD
was left at WEFT requesting re-broadcast.  8 minutes, approx.  Jason will
listen to it.  Two more coming up.  Paul feels confident about it, but
concerned about time input, organization and resources--it was a big effort.

Wal-Mart story.  Pauline and Sehvilla are working on it.  Interviewed
customers at Pages for all Ages about labor, environmental, etc.
impacts.  Tried interviewing pickets, but they weren't there.  Tried
talking to construction workers, but were asked to leave.  Want to talk to
construction company about the economics of the project.  Suggested that
they talk to local government officials.  Brent and Pauline took pictures
of the pickets and the site on Thursday morning.  Goal is to finish by
Thursday, but might try to do shorter pieces.  P & S feel good about the
story, but P feels swamped.

Pictures of trees near power lines.  Pauline and Brent took the pictures
and posted them.  P feels that at least one should be on the front
page.  Pauline is writing things.

Talk by Owens Wiwa on 3/3.  Mark E. is going to write it up.

NEA Higher Education meeting.  Peter will write up notes.  Feels pretty
good about it.

Arctic Refuge.  Molly went to a meeting in Washington, DC and will write it
up.

Upcoming News:
Illinois Commerce Commission public hearing on IP's tree tarriff, Monday, 7
p.m. Champaign City Council chambers:  Pauline will attend and write up a
short note for the list.

Possibilities for Sidetrack:  Red Herring Vegetarian Restaurant and/or
Coffee House and Newspoetry.  Anyone interested?  Not today.  Danielle is
interested in doing a piece about Susan Parenti.  Beginning of the month is
the best time to approach Jason.

Stories that happened last week:  follow-up?

Farmers voted to eliminate pork checkoff, but the Bush Admin ignored the
vote.  See DN! from Friday.  Talk to folks at Allen's Farm Quality Meats or
the Amundsen's.

Greg Brown's family is suing the city.

Independent Native News asked for a piece about the chief.  Nobody stepped
forward for it.

General Comments:
Will Paul Riismandel continue updating the website, now that he's no longer
participating in the news group?

Schedule of stories.  A beat list was proposed.  Should we prepare a
whiteboard with ongoing and upcoming assignments?  Yes.  Danielle will put
up a whiteboard/corkboard during her staff time.  Molly will bring a
corkboard.

How do we involve more people in production?  To sustain the news gathering
functions of the IMC, we need to include others when we produce stories.

Paul K:  Technical questions--have our resource needs been met?  Danielle's
area microphone was broken, but Sascha got another one.  We currently have
two (soon 3) MD's kept at the IMC.  Extra batteries and extension cords are
needed.  Power adapters needed.  Adapters from mic's to recorders are
needed.  Seems that production equipment (specifically production
equipment) falls under the purview of the news group.  People think it's a
good idea.  Paul will send email to the space and tech groups and see what
they think of it.

Paul is available to help produce!!!  He can help people meet deadlines.

Jason helps produce Sidetrack features, too!

Training: Jason has talked to Brian and Paul K. about space availability
for digital editing training.  Initial set of dates include: Thurs, April
5, 8 p.m.; Saturday, April 21, noon; Tuesday, April 24, 2 p.m.  One hour
sessions, technical nitty-gritty.

Adjourn at 2:15.