[Imc] IMC Staffers Please Read!

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Tue May 1 07:31:26 UTC 2001

The Short Story:  Tonight a small group of us tried to talk to 'Doug' (the
guy who uses the computer all the time) about his behavior and computer
squatting to no avail.  As a result 'Doug' was told that he is not welcome
back unless he brings us some documentation that he is under the care of a
social service or a mental health care provider. This week, if he comes in
this week please ask him to leave--nicely, politely, but firmly (it may
take a couple of requests).  If he is uncooperative you should feel free to
call the police.  There will be further discussion about this at Sunday's
Steering meeting.

The Explanation (or the Long Story):

As requested at the steering group meeting on Sunday, Mike L., Pauline,
Brian and I, with Brian leading the discussion, tried to talk with 'Doug'
this evening about his inappropriate behavior and squatting of the
computer.  Unfortunately he was unable to be rationale with us, dodging
questions about himself and what specific things he is looking for at the
IMC, instead giving us stories about how he owns the IMC, WEFT and other
places, wants his equipment back and that we're all under arrest and should
be in court.  He told us his name is not Doug, and gave us another name
telling us to check with his office at Carle (a quick call says there's
nobody there by the name he gave us).

As we discussed at Sunday's meeting, when 'Doug' refused to talk with us
further and started to leave, Brian told him that if he was unwilling to
talk with us then he would need to bring back some printed documentation
that he is under the care or supervision of a social service or mental
health care provider (so that we might better be able to deal with and/or
fairly accommodate him).  Brian repeated this to him several times before
he finally left, unwilling to talk.

The four of us decided that we need to adhere to what we told 'Doug' if it
is to have any effect, and perhaps lead him to deal with us
reasonably.  Therefore it is important for all IMC Staffers to not allow
'Doug' to use the IMC this week unless he brings some type of documentation
about who he is and about what care he is under (if any).  If he comes,
please ask him to leave.  Do be as polite and kind as you can, but also be
firm.  It may take a little prodding.  If he refuses to leave, then you
should call the police to have him removed.

For those of you who were not at the Steering Group meeting -- we discussed
this issue for quite some time, especially given that 'Doug' has had a few
more loud outbursts in the last few weeks.  There was a common desire to
not just simply kick anyone out, and in this particular case to try and see
if there is a way for 'Doug' to be a part of the IMC, while limiting
behavior that may be objectionable or threatening.  There seemed to be a
consensus to treat 'Doug' fairly, especially since he appears to suffer
from some type of emotional or mental disability, but that this also needs
to be balanced against the need to make sure the IMC is a safe and inviting
space for IMC staff and our visitors.  Unfortunately, right now, 'Doug' and
his behavior are contributing to making the IMC uncomfortable for staff and
visitors.  Nobody wants to call the police on someone, but we must
recognize this as a possible necessity if someone refuses to be reasonable
and respectful to the IMC and its volunteers.

The IMC has to quickly develop a method and/or policy for dealing with this
and similar situations in a fair, sensible manner, that takes into account
the needs and rights of visitors, IMC members and volunteers.  The more
people who contribute to this discussion, the better we will be able to
develop a consensus around a reasonable solution.  This is on Sunday's
steering group agenda, so I personally ask as many of you to attend as
possible.

--Paul