[Imc] Community Media Workshop

Molly Stentz molly at onthejob.net
Fri May 11 18:37:10 UTC 2001

http://www.newstips.org

Just found this organization Community Media Workshop out of Columbia
College. They seem more focused on teaching PR rather than news, but I
guess it can be a fine line. They are hosting a conference in Chicago that
may be interesting to send folks up to. Some sessions look corporate and
awful, some good.. looks like they haven't found out about the indymedia
movement yet either. I think we could teach them! Maybe we should try to
get invited??????

***
Making Media Connections Conference
June 6-7, 2001
Malcolm X College | 1900 W. Van Buren, Chicago

(These sessions look interesting:)

*Jim Hightower, keynote

*Connecting with National Print Media
                   When and how should you contact the national media?
What stories are likely to interest them? What tactics will turn them off?

*Local News: Power and Potential
	In fall, PBS will present Local News, a primetime documentary about the
WCNC-TV newsroom in Charlotte, NC. Eleanor Chin, from Roundtable, will
preview the series and lead a discussion about how people can work toward
more responsive and representative news coverage.

*Funding for Communications
                   Learn about foundations that support communications
activities, projects that attract support, how to add a communications
component to your next proposal, and how foundations might evaluate your
project.

*Reaching Your Constituents with Radio
                   As news and public affairs programming dwindles,
nonprofits face a challenge to getting our most ubiquitous mass medium to
pay attention. What can be done to get our stories on the air?

A limited number of scholarships are available to representatives from
nonprofits with annual budgets under $100,000. To request a scholarship,
please send us a letter including your tax i.d.#. Describe your
organization, why you need the scholarship, and how you would benefit.

http://www.newstips.org/conf.html