[Imc] IMC NEWSGROUP MEETING NOTES 5.13.01

meinrath meinrath at students.uiuc.edu
Sun May 13 20:26:43 UTC 2001

IMC NEWSGROUP MEETING NOTES 5.13.01

Old News
- Danielle – 85 % Coalition news wrap – story on web and sent to News Gazette.
 They replied “thanks! That helped us!”
- Kathryn – 85% Coalition longer story – story on web
- Sehvilla, Kathryn, Ben  – Laura and Tim’s arrest for observing police –
print story on web and 4 audio interviews on web
- Mark, Krystal, Gina – racial climate survey radio program for this week on
WEFT.

SEND MARK YOUR NEWS HEADLINES (and post them to the web) – 150 words, read
outloud first with an eye towards radio format.

News in Progress
- McVeigh execution – postponed for 30 days – IMC reporters didn’t go to
report and will be gone when he is executed.
- 85% Coalition protest next Wed leave at 10 AM from Art Theater parking lot –
Mark is going to continue reports

New News
- NAACP meeting Tuesday 7 PM in the NAACP office east of RR tracks on Bradley.
 Discussion of racial climate survey – Ben – audio
- Community dialogue on race and racism – 7 PM Tues at Mellon admin. building
– we must identify ourselves as press – format: big group meeting and then
split off into 4 groups.  Reporters will be participant-observers so we can
participate in dialogue.  We can’t use personal names without permission.
Invited: parents, teachers, administrators, school board members.  Written,
ask about audio.  Reporters will meet afterwards to determine output. Peter,
Mark, Danielle, Omar.
- Monday 7:30 PM Urbana City budget for next year includes funding for another
police officer in the schools.  This story could have national import - Omar
- Thursday May 17th noon @ IDF Kim Bobo speaking on .  She’s written on
community organizing.  She started interfaith committee on worker justice –
Peter wrap.  We need someone to record this!
- Saturday 4 PM and 8 PM at the Park Inn – CCHC speaker – member of Boston
Women’s Health Collective – Sehvilla, Sarah, PaulK

Miscellaneous Stuff
Wed 16th 7 PM Airshifter training at WEFT – Sascha, Brent, Omar, Pauline

Send stories with international import to be included in the global IMC weekly
PDFs for print outs.
Lists.indymedia.org and sign up for IMC – print list.  You can also submit
stories to print.indymedia.org and select “submit”

Status of Quebec CD – Peter will continue to work – we still need a cover –
then we can sell and distribute it

Consider making our WEFT features 29 minutes for distribution elsewhere.

Free Speech Radio News is daily starting in June? From 5 – 5:30 on WEFT on a
trial basis.

WEFT IMC News Hour
May 14 		Mark, Krystal, Gina
May 21 		Kim & 85% - Peter will interview people? Invite Rick Garcia to
compare.
Or Boston Women’s Health Collective – sascha edit dc airshifts
May 28	 	Peter/Omar
June 4
June 11
June 18		Molly? – Renewable Energy Fair
June 25
July 2
July 9		MarkE – recordings from Taiwan
July 16
July 23		Pauline
July 30

Citizens for Independent Public Broadcasting
Laurel brought a kit to create a local group.

They will help you flier, training, recruit.  Provide censored films.  Will
send you copies of  “Airwars” ½ price for you to sell and keep the profit.

Steering Committee is Laurel Prussing, Cope Cumpston, Nancy Dietrich-Rybicki,
Omar Ricks, and Walter Matherly.  The goal is 10 people.  Laurel will send out
an invitation to the group.