[Imc] IMC RADIO HOUR FOLLOW-UP

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Tue May 22 16:47:33 UTC 2001

neighbors and friends:

As you may have heard, we had a big BIG radio show problem yesterday.

Here's what happened:

1.  Not enough committment to following a finished product through.
2.  Not enough co-ordination among participants.
3.  Air-shifter not on time.
4.  Technical difficulties on air.
5.  Script template inadequately customized for individual show.
6.  Jobs undone and left for "damage control" and "triage."

Here's what I propose:

1.  The IMC shortens its production commitment to 20 minutes of broadcast
audio for WEFT per week, effective immediately.
2.  We pre-produce EVERYTHING and have a CD ready to air with no in-studio
manipulations at WEFT.
3.  People who say they're gonna do it, do it.

Here's what I offer:

1. When participants are ready to learn, I'm ready to TEACH:

a. mindisc use for field recordings
b. production room orientation
c. audio editing in SoundForge
d. voiceovers and production room recording
e. using ACID and VEGAS to compile audio for broadcast
f. burning a CD of a finished product

If you're frustrated with the production room set-up for AUDIO (not video
or graphic design) production, TALK TO ME, Paul Kotheimer.  I staff on
Tuesdays 4PM-7PM.  I can teach during my shift, or by arrangement.

Several new things have been installed, and several new things are on
their way, and YOU probably need an update, so i suggest that everyone get
a brand spanking new PRODUCTION ROOM ORIENTATION as soon as possible.

In order for me to teach, learners need to co-ordinate themselves and
eachother.

What would be ideal would be if a group of 3 participants talked together
and realized THEY wanted to know the SAME group of things from me, then
co-ordinated with me as to when i was available to teach.  This is the
instruction scheduling model i prefer.

2. i am also available, with enough advance warning, to "DRIVE" projects
home by deadline--i.e. i can manipulate the software REALLY FAST so as to
get the results we need, finished and onto CD, in time for a show.  a
"DRIVING" (or, deadline-driven) session by me would NOT include teaching.
i would work, and you would watch me and watch the clock.

I make no other offers at this time.  I will not set foot in WEFT studio A
until further notice, unless it's to put an IMC disc in the player and
press PLAY.  I will not initiate audio productions for IMC/WEFT unitl I
feel confident that my commitment is shared by others.

Solidarity, Community, Commitment
Paul Kotheimer

THE HAND-MADE RECORD LABEL
www.handmaderecords.com