[Imc] Librarians meeting minutes 5/24/01

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Fri May 25 04:41:43 UTC 2001

IMC Librarians’ Meeting Minutes for May 24, 2001

Attending: Mike Brunelle, James Jacobs (note taker), Meg Miner, Greg Wolf,
Jason Morris, Mike Perry, one BIG can of Chef Boyardee and Seth Davis in
spirit.

Meeting came to order at 5:15pm.

I. Database discussion:

Mike P. and Seth D. continue to work on the database for subject guides
written in PHP.

Mike B. is interested in putting together a database for the physical
collection and patron base.

We looked at Bob’s database and came to the conclusion that it would continue
to be valuable for the archive.  However, the creation of a more robust (sorry
Ellen!) database using some type of SQL (PostgreSQL or MySQL) is necessary in
order to have relationality between the library collection, patron base, and
subject guides.  The Mikes will look into SQL tutorials and will forward those
urls to the list for those that are interested.  Getting the SQL databases up
and functioning will take some more study.  It is hoped to have the subject
guides and library database up and running by the end of the summer or early
fall.

 II. Jason M. is working with Paul K. on the media archive.  No timeline was
suggested but work continues on the issues of a physical home for the archive
as well as the best way to represent it (by format, subject, date
).

III. Meg M. has volunteered to stamp the journals.  She had a good suggestion
for the collection.  It would be valuable to have the 3 printed versions of
the shelf list in a 3-ring binder: one each sorted by Author, Title and
subject area.  While this is not such an urgent need right now, as our
collection grows, it will become more important to display our collection in
multiple ways.

IV. Greg’s focus is on the ‘zine collection.  He has begun the organization
process according to title, author/publisher, and contact information.  There
are several fuzzy areas that remain including definition of “’zine”—many in
our collection are not produced locally but still are considered ‘zines for
their independent production--collection development for ‘zines and database
access.  He will continue to organize the ‘zines and do some research into
‘zine collection development including looking into Factsheet Five, a ‘zine
review (url: http://www.factsheet5.com/).

V. Jason brought up a very good point. He staffs the IMC on Tuesday nights and
would like to have tasks for those times. He wondered what jobs were needed in
the library. I showed him how to process books (date due slips and checkout
cards).  The issue of infrastructural tasks for staffers will be raised at the
steering group meeting on Sunday.

VI. Meeting adjourned at 6:20PM.
Respectfully submitted,

James Jacobs

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"
"But to live outside the law you must be honest." R.Zimmerman
"Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse
a clear man."
--Benjamin Franklin