[Imc] volunteers need #1 (SOA Audio)

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Mon Nov 19 22:37:20 UTC 2001

I have amazing and complete recordings direct from the sound board of
Saturday's Rally and Sunday's Vigil in Ft. Benning GA. This is about
11 minidiscs worth of material, about 15 hours of material. I have the
_only_ such recording currently in existance.

I would like to take all of this material, optically digitize it,
split it into tracks (1 track for each speech/song), edit out the
dead time in between speeches, press a set of CDs.

I also want to clone all 11 minidiscs so that we can keep a set in our
library and so I can send a set back to Francisco Herrera who was the
musician who actually swapped the discs all day during the recording
process.

This is going to take a huge amount of labor (I'm guessing 30-45
person hours) and I'd like to organize a group of people to take
shifts over the course of a couple of days working on this.

I really want to get this done in a timely fashion so that we can do
the following things with it:

  * Send copies of the CDs to Atlanta IMC
  * Send copies of the CDs to SOA Watch
  * Send copies of the CDs to musician Francisco Herrera without whom
    I could not have made them.
  * Send copies of the CDs to John Spier at Acclaim Video who is
    making a documentary about this protest.
  * Put copies of the audio on our website in both streaming and
    downloadable format.
  * Play back the audio in its entirety over the course of several
    weeks of Excuse Me Mister.
  * Set up a duplication tree for anyone else who wants to get copies
    of these.

I really want to get this done in a timely manner since we are sitting
on a unique high quality recording that ought to be enjoyed by many.

Some of the tasks that volunteers could do:

 * Take a shift babysitting the digitizing process, swap minidiscs
   when they are done, make sure the levels are ok, monitor the audio
   and make notes about when tracks should start and end for the
   editor.
 * Take a shift editting audio into tracks.
 * Lay out the CD set, which tracks on which CDs, identify names and
   credits for all the tracks.
 * Do some of that super funky mastering/tweaking/compression/voodoo
   that makes a good recording sound better. (optional)
 * Design and print CD stickers for all the final discs.
 * Take a shift babysitting the process of making backup copies of all
   11 minidiscs.

Who wants to help with this process? I was thinking we could mainly do
it over this coming weekend if we had a dedicated team of 6-10
volunteers willing to take different shifts.