[Imc] (no subject)

Gotsch Tim bowednotbeaten at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 17:58:27 UTC 2001

FYI:

Eloquent words from a recent post, from a list I'm a
member of.

Puzzling at the Post Office  by Andrew Mandell

So a few days ago when we went to post office to buy
the stamps for our mailing, we asked for stamps
without the American flag.  First we were told to
wait.  It seems they were unsure if they had stamps at
the post office and would have to go in the “back” and
see.  The police officer arrived after a few minutes.
Questions, polite smiles, and professional behavior
but sadly another half truth as we were told to come
back at 11:30 the next day when they would have the
stamps ready for us.

The next day the lady at the counter was a bit puzzled
as to what the fuss was all about and sold me the
stamps without going “to the back.”  It seems after
all they do stock stamps at the post office.  However
the U.S. Postal Inspector is not always in stock.
Coincidentally he happened to be there at 11:30 to
invite me in “the back” to talk a bit about mailing
frequency, stamp choices, and the funding of Voices in
the Wilderness. He also wondered if he might come by
the office and see the mailing when it was done.  A
few days later he called to say that he trusted us and
that he would not, after all, need to inspect our
mail.
He was a decent person, but he didn’t have to be.

The American flag is a fine looking banner and in its
long history has been the backdrop for the honorable
actions and self-sacrifice of individuals many of us
can respect.  However, colored cloth has neither will
nor discernment, and will fly just as majestically
over plunder as rescue, and this one has.  A banner is
like a word.  Once it begins to define different
things among different people it can only hamper and
confuse dialogue.  And the more important the
dialogue, the more likely the confusion.  It becomes
more apparent to us every day that the conversations
most vital to the future of our children are too
important to take place beneath ambiguous symbols
reinforcing righteous beliefs for some, recalling
terror for others.

Ravages of warfare descend on multitudes of actors,
some of whom remain free to choose forces other than
destruction to direct their actions.  While still
holding hope for the forces of dialogue, negotiation,
and nonviolent resistance to evil, we're holding on to
our choices at the post office as well.

Voices in the Wilderness
1-773-784-8065
http://www.nonviolence.org/vitw
1460 West Carmen Ave
Chicago  IL  60640

Peace.

Tim Gotsch

=====
"What a piece of work is a man and how easily his conscience
betrays him.  He listens to the voice of duty and what he
hears is the license of passion."
--Thomas Mann, "The Magic Mountain"
"Technology and laws need to go hand-in-hand to preserve
privacy and liberty."
--Simson Garfinkel, "Database Nation"