[Imc] Re: [Imc-newsroom] environmental impacts of WTC collapse

Chas. M. Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 4 18:27:44 UTC 2001

Brian Hagy wrote:

> > I haven't seen much coverage about the asbestos risks and other
> > environmental effects that the towers' collapse caused. I also don't hear
> > much about how the waste is being dealt with.
> >

> of course you haven't heard much about this.  after all, people can only
> have one paranoic activity to focus on, and terrorism wins that focus.  :)

   Not so much - I myself generally entertain at least five separate
paranoias at once.  Keeps me out of trouble.  =)

   AFAIK so far the primary threat to rescue workers will be the myriad
splintered asbestos fibers which composed a good portion of the first
day's aerosols, and are probably all through the debris.  Asbestos
abatement procedures pretty much all concentrate on keeping those fibers
from getting airborne in the first place.  I suspect, though, that the
water sprayed on the debris did a lot to prevent further emissions.  If
not, I'll bet they have some sort of spray goop.

   I'd be real surprised if the city was able to circumvent any
applicable hazmat regulations after the initial frenetic rescue efforts
- they're probably bound by more law in that respect than we are, and I
suspect that future lawsuits are on more than one official's mind.

   Next down the list might be the innumerable toxic compunds generated
when modern materials burn.  I've never seen a comprehensive list but
I'm sure one would be extensive.  One thing to consider is how many
things like Dioxin and PCBs are included.  Probably someone somewhere
knows something by now, but I'll bet that the debris is stratified, or
layered, as amount of combustion products go, so things could get either
better or worse as they go along.

   Then of course, there are lots of metal oxides and such, and the
fumes involved in *that* process, and of course the usual busted or
atomized glass.  Or was that stuff glass..?

   That's about all I could spew off the top of my head.  I'd love to
see a thermal map of the debris field over time, once the ghastliness
associated with such a thing lessens a bit.  I suspect that the ghoul
factor has a little to do with the current lack of info in the media,
but in the future I imagine we'll have full-color glossy articles in The
Smithsonian, et al., to pore over.

   Just my 1 cent - I suppose if anyone with more experience decides to
follow up on the article idea, my e-mail address is at the top, I guess.
-- CMB