[Imc] Update on the 10/8/01 fisticuff outside the IMC.

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 9 18:19:05 UTC 2001

Hi everyone,

I wanted to update everyone on the fisticuff that happened after last
night's show at the IMC.  Brian Hagy did an amazing job of coordinating
efforts, keeping track of different folks, contacting me and others,
getting the place cleaned, and otherwise keeping on top of everything
during a fairly tense situation; he should be commended for his efforts (so
give him lots of love next time you see him).  By the time I showed up,
everything was fully under control, clean-up was well advanced, and
everything was calm.

The police showed up and I talked with them and will be picking up a report
later this week.  The police were still trying to track down the person who
initiated the fight last night (apparently he was an unknown from
Peoria).  Greg, who rented the place, has done a great job of making sure
the place was cleaned up, and we'll be talking about ways to prevent
anything of this sort from happening again.  Obviously, because it was a
punk show, there is the tendency to blame either the music or the people
involved.  My own experiences talking with folks last night is that they
were all deeply concerned, and expressed a heartfelt desire that we not
take the actions of one individual to be indicative of the type of things
that happen at punk shows.  Greg also mentioned that he will not be
scheduling further street-punk shows at the IMC (which are particularly
uppity), and we will discuss procedures to insure that this does not happen
at future shows.

I want to see us remain a venue for future punk shows, and by working with
Greg I am confident that we will be able to create an environment that is
both safe for participants and respectful of the IMC.

Thank you for your understanding, and thank you again to Brian who really
went above and beyond the call of duty,

--Sascha Meinrath