[Imc] Globalization forum

pfmueth pfmueth at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 16 14:00:50 UTC 2001

All, not a lot of publicity for this rather uninspiring, (as far as I can
tell) forum. . . seems like some one should challenge the likely consensus. .

. . seems like these advanced scholars can't tell the difference between Milan
and Genoa

            CAS Forum on Critical Issues:
                                         Globalization
                                         October 16, 2001
                                         Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
                                         Auditorium, Smith Memorial Hall
                                         805 South Mathews Avenue, Urbana

                                         The emergence of a global society has
                                         brought with it many challenges to
our view of the world, and our position in it. Supporters of globalization
point to the exciting and beneficial possibilities of a free and open
 exchange of commodities--including people and ideas--aided by the tremendous
advances in information technologies. But there are detractors as well, as the
protestsin Milan and Seattle have shown quite clearly.
  And, the shocking events of September 11  have forced us to face the fact
that terrorism has emerged as a real and horrifying
 challenge to the international body politic.

                                         We invite you to participate in an
informal public forum on this critical issue. After brief
 presentations by UIUC faculty from a range of disciplines, you are invited to
address your questions about globalization to the panel.
  CAS Director Bill Greenough will moderate.  Faculty participants include
Peter Fritzsche(History), Zsuza Gille (Sociology), David Goodman (East Asian
Languages and Cultures), Hans Hock (South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies),
Earl Kellogg (International Programs and Studies), Ed
Kolodziej (Political Science), Martin Manalansan (Anthropology) and Gale
 Summerfield (Women and Gender in Global Perspectives). Others may be added.