[Imc] Photo of Supreme Court?

Chas. M. Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 22 18:54:29 UTC 2001

John Wason wrote:

> Does anyone know where I might find a photo of the entire U.S. Supreme Court
> that is either already scanned into a computer file in REALLY HIGH
> RESOLUTION, or that could be scanned in in such a manner?  I'd like it to be
> reprinted in a newspaper, and I'm told that for that it needs to be really
> high resolution.  I'm further told that none of the photos currently
> available on searchable web sites have a high enough resolution to be
> reproducable on newsprint.

   Typically, web graphics are limited to 72 pixels per inch.  They
should be convertible to halftones for newsprint with little or no
reduction in resolution.

   If you reduce them in size at all before conversion, the problem
pretty much disappears.

   The reason this works is that the halftone mesh size for newsprint is
very coarse to compensate for ink absorption in the non-coated, fibrous
stock.  If it was clay stock like, say, Time magazine, you'd need around
150 DPI to get by - their halftones have much smaller dots, much closer together.

   If you have any trouble, you can e-mail me.  - CMB, 15 years printing
experience, ex-cameraman, stripper, platemaker for offset press, now
scientific illustrator on macs, yada yada.

p.s.  You might try Google Image Search:

http://images.google.com/

   It's a beta, so you may experience some odd results.  Works great for
us though.  I was able to find 40 pictures of flatworms, no sweat.
Watch out for copyright.  =)