[Imc] Jim Hightower (http://www.jimhightower.com/air/read.asp?id=10672)

david johnson unionyes at ameritech.net
Wed Oct 31 13:11:16 UTC 2001

            On Air Archives | Affiliates

            SURRENDERING TO TERRORISTS
            10/1/01

            Just when we Americans thought that things couldn't be made any worse for us than the horror of the international terrorist attacks of September 11th, along comes a parade of homegrown clowns, zealots, political opportunists, and corporate technology hucksters claiming that they want to "save us" from future attacks.

            These are wild-eyed security enthusiasts who are promoting what the New York Times describes as "a new kind of country" for us to live in. In this "new country," get used to domestic spying, carrying an electronic ID card, being profiled and searched, being infiltrated and interrogated, and having your movements constantly monitored. In the frenzy of the moment, in the compulsion to "do something" about the terrorist attacks, our so-called national leaders are lunging toward a massive new program of electronic surveillance of We the People. "Computer technology will be harnessed to make the country safer," asserts the Times. Hmmm...this doesn't make me feel one bit safer.

            Take the national ID card...whether you want to or not. A corporate security consultant says enthusiastically that "Each American could be given a 'smart card,' so as they go anywhere, we know exactly who they are." Your card, imbedded with computer chips, would contain detailed personal and financial information about you and would be read by computers, coordinated with your fingerprints and facial characteristics so you could be tracked wherever you go. This is not some science fiction movie, but an actual proposal being considered in Washington. A former federal law enforcement official told the Times that, "Over a period of time, these technologies will slowly be becoming part of our life. You will no longer be able to just come and go."

            This is Jim Hightower saying...Hundreds of thousands of freedom lovers who went before us fought, bled, and died–from our country's revolutionary war forward–to establish and preserve the very personal liberties that these bonzos now propose to surrender.

            "Technology Will Play Bigger Role in Security" New York Times 9/18/2001

             Jim Hightower
            Hightower & Associates
            1802 W. 6th Street
            Austin, TX 78703