[Imc] plans for D.C. demos

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Thu Sep 13 19:47:37 UTC 2001

hi all

i want to suggest that a meeting of D.C.-goers and home-supporters take
place before, during, and after the fundraiser this Friday at 7PM at the
IMC.  perhaps "AFTER" is the best time to have a facilitated discussion
about who still intends to go, who would now rather not go, who would
rather go now more than ever, etc.

if i were the facilitator of such a discussion, i would firmly request
that participation in the conversation be limited to:

1. those who personally intend to go to DC for S28-30.
2. those who had personally intended to go, up until the events of 9/11,
and now have misgivings of some kind.
3. those who are committed to home support for DC participants.

i would ask ANYONE else to kindly BUTT OUT.  i can explain my reasoning on
this--during my performance at the fundraiser if necessary.

i intend to support fully from home anyone from Champaign-Urbana intending
to go.  i urge and advocate that any and all who planned on going as of
9/10 should not change their minds because of the events of 9/11.  i
further urge and advocate that those who intend to go should not change
their plans EVEN IF the IMF/WorldBank decide NOT to meet.

i can expand on my reasoning any time you see me, and i would like to do
so especially in the context of a facilitated discussion which i propose
would best happen directly FOLLOWING the fundraiser, if it doesn't already
start happening DURING the fundraiser.

paulkotheimer:)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, sarah elzbieta kanouse wrote:

> I can't make it tonight, but I strongly lobby to go if the meetings are
> still being held.  I refuse to allow 'respect for the dead' to become a
> mask for nationalism and backlash.
>
> --Sarah

c/o the School for Designing a Society
409 North Race Street