[Imc] Website poll

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 17 00:25:13 UTC 2001

Dear Register Guard Editors and Administrators,

I am appalled by the jingoistic overtones of the current poll on your Web site
entitled "What should the U.S. reaction be to the terrorist attacks?".  The
fact that all but one of the choices is violent in nature (and the last
implies simply ignoring the situation) is truly irresponsible journalism. I
feel horribly for the victims of this atrocity--in fact have family in NYC who
were among the unaccounted-for for several hours--but I believe that there ARE
other, NON-VIOLENT, choices that can be made. Passions are already running
high. Now is a time for level-headedness, not reckless saber-rattling posing
as "objective news".  I strongly demand that you take down this poll
immediately.

Sincerely,

James Jacobs

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"