[Imc] 09-16-01 IMC Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

Russell A Rybicki russrybicki01 at juno.com
Mon Sep 17 00:46:03 UTC 2001

09-16-01 Urbana-Champaign Steering Committee Minutes

Present: Sascha, Brian, Mike, Peter, Erin, Paul R., Ellen, James, Russ,
Brent, and Michael from Decatur.

WORKING GROUP REPORTS:

FINANCE - This is the last month for Founding Founders.  Finances are OK.

OUTREACH - A Regional Midwest Indymedia Gathering is planned for Oct. 19,
20, and 21 with the bulk of the activities to happen on the 20th.

SPACE - The desk was moved out and is for sale.  If anyone wants it,
contact Mike Lehman.   20 stackable chairs were found and donated, they
may not look great but are in good working order.

LIBRARY - no report

TECH - The new audio-workstation is up and running.  Audio-video wiring
is being worked on as needed, and we have a connection between the back
room and the production room.  We may have the ability to do web-casting
in the near future.  A dual Pentium II server was donated by Zac and his
employer, thanks Zac and employer!  Our site has been registering 2000
hits.  Normally we average about 600 hits.

NEWS GROUP - The WEFT programming committee has approved an Indymedia
news hour slot from 5-6pm every Mon.  Tomorrow's show is still 6-7 and
features the community meeting held at the Indymedia Center in response
to the World Trade Tower attack and reports from the Permanent Autonomous
Zone Conference.

STUDENT GROUP - There is a USA united ribbon campaign in the community.
There is also an Anti-war poster campaign and a anti-war ribbon campaign
in the works.

VIDEO - The WEFT-fest practice session was cancelled due to rain.  A new
practice session will be planned soon.

OLD BUSINESS

USE POLICY - There have been posts that included death threats posted to
the international Indymedia site.  Group discussed what to do if this
were to occur on our site.  Concensed on authorizing tech to remove any
post that contains a death threat against a specific individual or group.
 There will also be a post to inform of this action, and the
Administration section of the site will also tell what action was taken.

SCHOOL OF AMERICAS - There will be a meeting on 3:30 Monday to plan the
structure of the School of America trip .

SECURITY - We have had the following security concerns.  There was a
letter in the Daily Illini from the Objectivists Club noting that
anit-globalist activists are on the same side of the terrorists.  Sara
wrote a letter to the editor of the News Gazette noting an anit-war,
follow international laws, sentiment.  After the letter was published,
she was called by an irate woman.  This woman also left a message at the
Indymedia Center.  On the 11th, our sandwich board was violently knocked
down.  This was done by Eric, an employee of the Lazer's Edge; the owner
has analogized for his employee's actions.

The following precautions were implemented.  If anything happens that
threatens our security, e-mail Mike Lehman or post it to the list
(imc at list.groogroo.com) so that we know what's going on.  If you get a
threatening phone call dial *69 after the phone call and you will get the
phone number of the caller.  Note the phone number so that we can track
who is harassing us.  Everyone is encouraged to use the space more often
to improve the security of the Indymedia center.  Be careful not to
inflame others.  Signs and banners will not be placed in the window
without consulting the whole group.  This is to assure that nothing
inflammatory is displayed there.  The group agreed that the Wage Peace
sign was OK.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

At 6:00pm tonight (Sun.) there will be a DC protest meeting.  The IMF and
World Bank will announce Monday if they plan to hold the scheduled
meeting.  If they cancel, there may be a peace rally in DC instead.

The print group will discuss how to respond to the recent events at their
regular meeting today (Sun.) at 3:00pm.