[Imc] Security At The IMC

Chas. M. Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 17 18:34:14 UTC 2001

Robert Dunn wrote:

> here is my 2 cents, from working with PRC and Vietnam Vets Against the
> War, when there are emotions running high about patriotism or love of
> the "Chief", sometimes our physical security is threatened. I propose
> that we ask PRC for security for the IMC. It wouldn't hurt. I have
> been trained by them, I am willing to volunteer. We could have a
> training in the back room.
>
> All, tell me what you think?
>
> Comrade Robert

   Don't I remember a statute from the Reagan years which states that
volunteer organizations can't be sued for damages?  Note - I could be
wrong, but I don't think so.

   If this is true, then placing unarmed individuals in harm's way
without professional training would seem to me to be a morally untenable
position.  I know the PRAC does this - I've seen tiny little women as
security for marches, and wondered what they and their parents would do
if their noggin somehow hit the curb, or etc.

   I should think that if a couple of things went wrong at once,
someone's life could be ruined.  Isn't the cop shop 4 or so blocks away?