[Imc] hiding a story

Jason Pitzl jpitzl at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 21 15:45:41 UTC 2001

Mike Lehman wrote:
"having this standard encourages those who visit and consider posting for
the first time to try and live up to this standard in their own posts."

I can only agree, as I stated in an earlier message on this theme, the
concept of "censorship" on public message boards is an almost complete
farce, if someone is already on the net and is capable of posting then there
are untold thousands of places that will allow just about any viewpoint and
philosophy.

You cannot "silence" someone by removing a post from one message board.

If the U-C IMC throws open its doors to any post with no standards then the
site may as well be shut down.
People will not come here for news because they will know that the majority
of posts are either of a fringe nature or so incomprehensible as to be
useless in transmitting a message.

Thousands of useful newsgroups and e-lists have been destroyed or made
meaningless from a reluctance to enforce some sort of standard, it would be
sad to see the IMC go the same route. What is now only a few posts will
multiply at an amazing rate if unchecked.

-Jason Pitzl
MythWorks
A pagan political perspective
http://www.wildhunt.org/myth/