[Imc] Tim Johnson Press Conference TODAY

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Thu Sep 27 15:11:53 UTC 2001

Tim Johnson will be holding a press conference today (9/27) at 1 p.m. at
Willard Airport.  I can't attend, but I hope somebody does.

A few questions that I'd ask include:
1) You voted for a $15 billion bailout of the airline industries that
doesn't help the 130,000 employees who were laid off.  The bill does not
provide them continued health insurance, job training, or other cushions
against their sudden loss of income.  Why would you vote for such an
expensive bill that doesn't address the needs of 130,000 laid-off
citizens?  (Isn't this a corporate welfare bill?  Why not a social welfare
bill?)

House Speaker Hastert said the concerns of workers may be addressed next
week.  What kinds of social welfare provisions for laid off workers will
you support? (Health care?  Training?  Federal employment?)

2) President Bush has issued several statements urging people not to
retaliate against muslims or people of arabic descent. You have not issued
a similar statement to law enforcement officials in the fifteenth
congressional district.  Why not?

3) Do you think the US should respect accepted international guidelines for
tracking down and trying those suspected of attacking the world trade
centers and the pentagon?

Please send a message to the list if you plan on going.

Thanks,
Peter