[Imc] Homelessness Marathon

cumpston cumpston at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 23 00:44:41 UTC 2002

The Homelessness Marathon is in its 5th year -- it's an overnight radio
program from the streets, where the host "nobody" interviews people with
knowledge of the factors in homelessness and offers free call-in for anyone
who wants to participate. It's a remarkable bit of programming. WEFT hosted it
two years ago. This year it will be broadcast out of Portland, Oregon, KBOO,
from 6 p.m. Tuesday February 5 - 8 a.m. February 6. If you don't know about
it, look at www.homelessnessmarathon.org.

I'm working with the Times Center to hold an event for local shelters, and am
looking for interested interviewers / audio / video participants.

The Times Center will be open from 6 p.m. to midnight on Tuesday, February 5
as a gathering place for people who want to support local homeless.

We plan to have open mic for residents, probably from 7-10, so people can tell
their stories, be recorded for radio / video work. We hope to have some music,
art, dessert, etc -- as much of a party as the participants want to make.

It will be a time to touch base with people who are homeless, listen and talk,
bring dessert and whatever other support we have.

Anyone interested, please contact me.

Thanks -- Cope

Copenhaver Cumpston
University of Illinois Press