[Imc] new home for Art and Revolution?

Pauline Bartolone paulinebartolone at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 6 00:49:28 UTC 2002

IMCstas-

I moved some art and rev supplies to the IMC today. I realize that I made
this decision without consulting the space committee or coming to the
steering group. I would have liked to have come to the meetings on Sunday
but I am moving, and had to find a new home for the A&R materials fast...

I and many others have been thinking that Urbana needs one central location
for art supplies so various organizations can have access to them and know
where there all are when they need them.

Michael F. said that he can speak to this issue on Sunday and I suggest that
it be an agenda item about whether the IMC should be the home for the
supplies.

A few reasons why I think the IMC should be the home for the supplies:

-activists organizations that have already needed the supplies use the IMC
frequently, and have even used the IMC for art making in the past.

-activists organizations are more familiar and active in the IMC than other
community centers (they will be more used here than in other places).

-the imc can take care of the materials (they wont get moldy, etc)

-there is a big space for a group to make art

-the imc has set hours so people know when to pick up the stuff, or when to
come and make art.

One may ask who will be responsible for such materials and the activities
affiliated with them. Suggestions:

-It is not necessary to have one coordinator, only the space group who would
be a reference about their status, and perhaps make some rules to post about
their use. Whoever needs the materials would be responsible for them, abide
by the set rules, and notify the space group when they will use the
materials.

-I believe Mike Walcher has said that he can take on the role of coordinator
of the A&R materials, if such a role is desired.

I put the materials near the library archive space, under the computers that
are never used in the back room. There are:

-3 boxes of old magazines for collaging
-a role of plastic sheets for stencil making
-clothes for spray painting slogans
-masking tape
-lots of large paper and board for posters

There is also a bunch of spray paint at the witch house which can be brought
over if it is decided that IMC can be the A&R location.

Again, I am sorry if I am dumping a responsibility on people if it is a
burden. But I really believe that it would be a tremendous asset to the
community to have one central location for art materials when they are
needed.

Thanks, Pauline

PS. If these materials are going to be moved, perhaps Bethany or SDAS would
want them.