[Imc] IMC Steering Group Minutes - 23 June

Michael S. Feltes mfeltes at ucimc.org
Sun Jun 23 18:23:56 UTC 2002

IMC Steering Group Minutes

Present: Paul K., Clint (facilitating), Sascha, Russ, Mike L., Amy, Brian,
Mike W., Selena, Mike F. (notetaking)

Group Reports:

Tech - met, audiovisual week.  Discussed Paul's mics, and replacing mic in
old Free Love bag.  Didn't discuss Dada; still has some bugs.  Dada
employs the Slashdot rating system, Clint turns it off and all the
features don't work; still some work.  Clint is worried about turning on
Dada and then having the techie who knows it leave (him).

Print - New sustaining funder, That's Rentertainment, $240.  July issue
will be printed before the Fourth of July parade, so it can be
distributed.

Shows - Workday today to do some upgrades on the back room.

Space - Installed doorbell next to front door.  Mike also installed a new
mechanical lock on the production room door.  For the new combination, see
Mike Lehman, Sascha, or Michael Feltes.  Cleanup of the production room is
impending; extraneous items need to be removed.

Finance - Still running a deficit, more details in New Biz.  Membership is
beginning to get straightened out.  Accts. reconciled through April and
Sascha's doing more work today, so actual numbers for IMC finances through
the end of May should be available by the end of today.

Old Business

Paul Kotheimer's mics and attendant fight:

The Tech group has approved the expenditure of $260 for the repair of the
two microphones by C.V. Lloyd.  Sascha cut a check for Paul.

Paul has written down some ideas about the affair surrounding the repair
of the mics.  His thoughts are appended in an seperate email.

Sascha notes that Ellen and Becca did begin to flesh out a conflict
resolution process, but that effort has stalled.

Mike Lehman says that he believes that the problems that have really blown
up have bypassed normal routes of communication in the working group
meetings.

Some strong discussion ensued (sorry, I wasn't able to keep up.)

Sascha makes the point that we should have some actionable items leaving
this meeting.  One of the easiest things that we could do is set up the
mediation list outlined in Paul's proposal, so that flame wars are not
happening on the main IMC list, turning off 200 people who are distantly
related to the IMC.

Paul needs to leave for work, but offers these parting thoughts.  The
terms on which equipment is loaned to the IMC should be set by the loaner.
There are also issues about how much of Paul's gear is being loaned here.

Clint asks whether we want to set up a mediation list.

Mike has trepidations about what exactly this would mean.

Some discussion ensued (sorry!)

Steering consenses to set up the mediation email list pending objections
from News and Librarians spokes.  Clint will email Zach.

Website issues:

Mike L. wants to ban the poster commonly known as the CAPS LOCK CRETIN
because of his pattern of abusive and derogatory posting.

Brian and Mike F. would like Mike L. to give him a warning of impending
banning, appended to one of his posts since

Middle room floor:

Shelley and Clint will be cleaning and resealing the middle room floor on
Wednesday.  It will smell.  You're forewarned.

4th of July:

Brian attended the meeting at the Civic Center.  IMC is 46th in the
parade, AWARE is 49th.  Brian will try to switch with Falun Dafa, which is
48th, so we can be adjacent.

New Biz:

IMC Regional:

The second annual IMC regional date will be coming up in October, and we
need to start laying the groundwork.  Mike notes that we have a membership
meeting coming up soon.

Line Items:

Sascha proposes that we suspend the monthly line items for each working
group, allocating $100 to each working group until the IMC comes back into
surplus.

This IMC needs three to four thousand dollars right now to come back into
the black, and that amount increases each week.

Steering consenses on this pending objections from News and Librarian
spokes.

Announcements:

Workday today on the back-back room through dinnertime.  Lots of stuff
happening, lots of tasks to do.  Come and help for an hour or two!

On Wednesday, June 26, there will be a meeting to discuss purchasing the
building.  To do it, we will need to raise $60,000 to $100,000 by next
April.  Bring ideas and a willingness to work.

Michael Feltes
mfeltes at ucimc.org

"You may share in the labours of the great, but you will not share in the
spoil."  -Aesop